Should I get into politics with my gf?

So my gf is from Georgia and I am romanian. We got together a while back and things are going well. However there are some political things about Georgia I would like to ask her, but I wonder if maybe I shouldn't. Like for example she is from Abkhazia which is a russian separatist region of Georgia. So should I get into it or better just let it go?

9 minutes ago, andreix said:

So my gf is from Georgia and I am romanian.  she is from Abkhazia which is a russian separatist region of Georgia. 

How long have you been dating? Where do both live now? Have you visited her county or met any of her family? Do you think there are cultural incompatibilities? 

Is she working or going to school in your country? Does she talk about politics to you? Do you have an issue with her background? 

2 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

How long have you been dating? Where do both live now? Is she working or going to school in your country? Does she talk about politics to you? Do you have an issue with her background? 

Yeah, I guess I should have given more info.

She is working in Romania, we have been together for 5 months. Romanians are anti russian and georgians from Abkhazia very pro russian. It doesnt really matter, but I am curios where she stands.

She is always upbeat and happy, so maybe it would be ok but I dont wanna make it weird.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, andreix said:

. Romanians are anti russian and georgians from Abkhazia very pro russian. 

All you can do is decide if you want a relationship or a dogmatic political war between you two. If you like her as a person, and shes open minded enough to work in your country, why not see how things go as far as getting to know each other? 

• Like 1

Most people welcome open questions about their views--as long as those are not leading questions and you avoid sounding accusatory. Why not simply learn where she stands?

I'd make a point of being respectful regardless of her answers. I'd also ask whether there's anything she would like to know about your positions on your own government.

This sounds like a potentially lovely match as long as you don't make assumptions. EnjOy!

• Like 2

Politics are a part of life. They often speak to our core beliefs and values. I think it's important to know where each other stand on issues that are truly important to us and thus speaking about the subject is a good thing. It's also important to be able to have open, honest discussions with a potential partner on any subject. If this topic is important to you, then you should definately bring it up. It will give her a better understanding of who you are, and vice versa. Plus, if it's been five months, you've probably got to a stage where you'd be comfortable opening up on more serious topics. Just keep it civil and have a real discussion rather then the angry outbursts that some seem determined to turn any political talk into. Hope it goes well.

• Like 2

I mean, sure, but what Ive discovered with people who are political is that they would not be afraid to impose that politics on you in any shape or form, either in person or through social media. Meaning that, if there is something to be told, you would already known that. She is probably not that political person. But if you would like to know more about her country, sure, there is no harm in asking. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, boltnrun said:

...Would if affect your feelings for her if she has certain political beliefs you don't agree with?

Yes, and if so, isn't this something you'd want to know early? In the US we have some well known couples that are opposites on our political spectrum, and yet, they've thrived in longevity and enjoyment of one another for many years. Why is that?

These couples model for us a tolerance for dissenting views even while they appreciate aspects of another's personality that may be lovable.

I'm not so great in terms of tolerance, although I aspire to learn how to get there.

Meanwhile, I privately view opposing views as a threat to the bodily autonomy and health care of women, the end of a voting democracy, and the imposition of wealth inequality as a 'gaslighting' power move on 98% of humanity.

Uhm...other than this, I'm all for opposing ideas!

Sorry, just not sorry... 🙂 EnjOy!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, andreix said:

I dont think I'll ask her.

It doesnt really matter in the end, and if she is a russian spy, she can spy on me all night long 😈😈

Good idea. If you two continue dating, you can always visit her country and learn more about her.