What does it mean when a girl knows I like her but keeps getting awkward

Jacob Chan

6 hours ago, MissCanuck said:

That's just it - his descriptions are largely based on his own assumptions rather than fact.

He barely knows her and has decided all kinds of things about her. The same for the brother who spoke to her one time and conjured up a story about who she is and what her life experience has been. Neither of of them actually know much at all but have added their own flare that supports the fairly baseless narrative OP has created for himself about her supposed shyness and shelteredness. 

I would therefore not take OP's descriptions as fact. I don't mean to suggest he is intentionally being dishonest about her, but rather than he's describing her through a lens that's based on little solid knowledge of her. 

My descriptions of her character are verified by her besties, they've spent all their high school lives together. I am on good talking terms with her besties. In fact, they keep talking to me when we meet lol. Sometimes, they reply to my Instagram stories as well. Actually, I assumed she was fine with me because or else her besties would have flagged it out to me. I've asked her besties to sort of help me, and they gave me a few sentences of advice (e.g., don't speak too formally, be friends first - And because of that I learned how to message like a Gen Z and I've been trying to approach her like a normal friend which I believe is not too overwhelming). However, it seems like her besties don't want to get involved.

And one thing I just remembered, I was added to a Telegram chat group for the project and I forgot to indicate my attendance for the first session because I was too busy that day. At midnight, I received a message from her bestie asking if I was going to attend the project session, I actually thought she used her bestie as a proxy to remind me to indicate my attendance. Now I'm confused about that because, without the reminder, I might not be there?

After the last time I met her, I directly messaged her this (but in Gen Z language): "XX, am I making you feel very uncomfortable and stressed? If I am, you must let me know okay? I'll stop. If whatever I do makes you unhappy, then it defeats my purpose. I really hope you enjoy the activities you sign up for. Don't avoid me please, I feel very sad when you do that, you can just tell me anything directly, I am very open and transparent. I hope you'll be happy because life is too short to be unhappy!". She replied after 10 minutes: "I'm okay, just that it's awkward sometimes."

I then proceeded to message one of her 2 besties because I was afraid she wouldn't dare to tell me directly: "Do you know what happened to XX? I feel like she keeps avoiding me. I think I am making her uncomfortable by being in the project". The bestie replied: "Maybe she is a bit awkward, but I think you're thinking too much." I am quite sure her bestie communicated with her before replying to me.

Up till this point, none of her besties or herself have directly told me anything that suggests I should stop being around her or that she is being upset by my presence. It is only her behaviour that is weird, and that's super confusing.

But whatever the case, I'll stop actively pursuing her. I seriously don't have the time to keep guessing, it's mentally crippling. Else, my academics will take a toll. I need to spend time building my garden, if not no matter how hard I try to catch any butterflies, they'll still fly away.

She'll know where to find me anyway since she's viewing my Instagram stories within 10 minutes after I post them.

1 hour ago, Jacob Chan said:

I then proceeded to message one of her 2 besties because I was afraid she wouldn't dare to tell me directly: "Do you know what happened to XX? I feel like she keeps avoiding me. I think I am making her uncomfortable by being in the project". The bestie replied: "Maybe she is a bit awkward, but I think you're thinking too much." I am quite sure her bestie communicated with her before replying to me.

I would avoid any gossiping/talking behind her back -this is not a good look, not mature and it might feel concerning to her.

You are definitely not helping anything by talking about her to her "besties."

In the future stop trying to read "signs"  and overthinking her behaviors.  When you like someone, chat with them a bit and then ask them to do something together with you.  A simple outing.  

If the girl refuses, move on.

• Like 2

What her”besties” tell you is still not first-hand knowledge of her, OP. That comes only from time spent together with her, which she has avoided. 

You need to pay attention to that. She herself has given you no clear indication that she wants to get to know you. Her friends don’t and can’t speak for her. 

• Like 1