Potential employer wants SSN on app, makes me uncomfortable

My old position with my current employer got cut, I'm re-positioned in the company and I HATE it. Desperately trying to get out. Found a job posting I feel optimistic about on Indeed. Went to the company website to apply directly and they require your SSN, that just makes me very uncomfortable. It sucks because on the website application they ask for references and I have some great references; I know people who've worked for the company. So the way I see it I have 3 options:

A - Just apply through Indeed.

B - Put 000-00-0000 as my SSN but I fear my application may be tossed out if I do so not to mention it might be illegal.

C - Set my paranoia aside and enter my SSN.

What do y'all think? Really looking for some advice here, I'm so conflicted as getting this job would be such a huge relief.

Can you possibly do all zeros except last 4 digits and do those as your real one?

I simply don't know how it works AND I too would feel uncomfortable supplying it at this early stage.  I'm sorry about this -I too would want the best possible way of getting this job.  

• Like 1

I've supplied my social for jobs that require background checks. Yes, I completely understand that it's nerve wracking. But if you know it's a reputable company and you personally know people who have worked there it might be OK. Just keep a very close eye on your credit report. Sign up to receive alerts for new activity and be sure to monitor your accounts including credit cards. Immediately dispute anything you did not authorize.

ETA, do NOT give out your banking information unless and until you receive and accept an offer.

Good luck with the job search.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

Can you possibly do all zeros except last 4 digits and do those as your real one?

I simply don't know how it works AND I too would feel uncomfortable supplying it at this early stage.  I'm sorry about this -I too would want the best possible way of getting this job.  

Wouldn't that be illegal though? I'm worried doing that would get the application thrown out

1 minute ago, boltnrun said:

I've supplied my social for jobs that require background checks. Yes, I completely understand that it's nerve wracking. But if you know it's a reputable company and you personally know people who have worked there it might be OK. Just keep a very close eye on your credit report. Sign up to receive alerts for new activity and be sure to monitor your accounts including credit cards. Immediately dispute anything you did not authorize.

Good luck with the job search.

I actually don't own any credit cards, does that make me safer?

Just now, Krombopulos said:

I actually don't own any credit cards, does that make me safer?

I can't answer that as I am not a financial professional. However, I do strongly recommend you sign up for credit monitoring as someone could use your info to open accounts in your name without your knowledge or permission.

And don't ever give out your bank account info. Only give it to your company once you're hired.

• Like 1

That makes you uncomfortable and not getting pegged? Damn bruh...

Anyway, it took me few seconds of googling

It is legal for employers to ask for SSNs on job applications. However, candidates are not obligated to provide it if they feel uncomfortable. In this instance, candidates who are uncertain about providing their SSN may ask why it’s needed, how it will be used, and what measures are being taken internally to protect their sensitive information. As the employer, you should be prepared to address these concerns.

Candidates may also want to do their due diligence in researching employers to ensure they’re legitimate. And, due to an increase in remote onboarding, both candidates and employers should take extra precautions when disclosing and handling sensitive information. One way to do this? Send applications and sensitive documents through a secure online platform vs email.

49 minutes ago, Krombopulos said:

Wouldn't that be illegal though? I'm worried doing that would get the application thrown out

I don't know legally how that would work - I would have thought common sense wise that if you give last 4 digits that are accurate you are showing that you are uncomfortable supplying the whole thing.  I believe I've done that on certain medical related paperwork and it was fine.  

I like Boltnrun's advice and yes google as below.

Can you further look into the company you’re looking to apply with? Perhaps on Glassdoor, LinkedIn etc.?

If I’m reading what you’ve asked correctly — I too would feel a bit suspicious of a vague application process requesting social security number and 3 references. 
Unfortunately the world we live in is full of people looking to financially gain by way of creating hardship upon others. On the flip-side, there are more of those who would never dream of such malicious and deviant behavior.

Maybe you could reach out to the company directly and request an in person interview. 

What is the purpose for needing your ssn so early on in the search?  Cursory background checks do not need your ssn.  DOB and full legal name is enough to run a check.

I would contact them and let them know you want to apply for a position but the application is asking for your ssn on an non encrypted site.  See what they say.  I am sure there is a "Contact Us" button or an email address to contact the  site isn't there?

The site could be spoofed taking in all kinds of user information.  There are plenty of recruiter scam stories out there where people are being scammed by fake job opportunities.

If it were me I wouldn't hand out my ssn number to an unknown source or recruiter.

Lost

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Tinydance said:

Sorry what is SSNN?

Social Security Number, for tax ID originally; now it’s usually used for many ID information systems. Hence the concern.

I would call up the HR dept, and don’t take “just do it” for an answer. Get a reasonable response, and express your concern over ID theft. If they blow you off, gives you insight.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Kwothe28 said:

That makes you uncomfortable and not getting pegged? Damn bruh...

Anyway, it took me few seconds of googling

Giving myself to the woman I love vs indiscriminately sending out intimate PII and risking future finances/headaches, of course I'd be more comfortable being pegged

12 minutes ago, Krombopulos said:

Giving myself to the woman I love vs indiscriminately sending out intimate PII and risking future finances/headaches, of course I'd be more comfortable being pegged

I think his point was not referring to the act itself but to the reason that stripper wanted to do it, which was to film the act and post it online. That would be more detrimental to your career prospects than refusing to provide your SSN because as we know, the Internet is forever. And yes, potential employers absolutely do look for those kinds of things.

I like the idea of contacting the potential employer to ask if you can leave your SSN off the application and if doing so would negatively impact your consideration.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I think his point was not referring to the act itself but to the reason that stripper wanted to do it, which was to film the act and post it online. That would be more detrimental to your career prospects than refusing to provide your SSN because as we know, the Internet is forever. And yes, potential employers absolutely do look for those kinds of things.

I like the idea of contacting the potential employer to ask if you can leave your SSN off the application and if doing so would negatively impact your consideration.

I would have worn a mask for the video so my identity would be concealed. I still miss her very much to this day.

You're right. Really wanted to send out the application ASAP but I think it'd be prudent to wait until I can call them tomorrow morning.

3 hours ago, tattoobunnie said:

It's so they can run a background check on you, if they want to hire you.  Common procedure for decades now.  

I've sent out about a dozen applications this month and none of them have asked for an SSN. You can do a background check with a full name and DOB, a girl I was dating actually did it lol. She was able to find my real address rather surprisingly because not even work knows my real address

1 hour ago, Krombopulos said:

I've sent out about a dozen applications this month and none of them have asked for an SSN. You can do a background check with a full name and DOB, a girl I was dating actually did it lol. She was able to find my real address rather surprisingly because not even work knows my real address

Did you call them today to ask?