Sisters long term substance abuse.

So my sister has been addicted to multiple substances from Percocets to heroine to fetanyl since she was 19 to her current age of 28. 

She has two kids one four and one 3 months. She has been in countless rehab programs, jail once and recently she completed a six month rehab that gave her a place to stay and allowed to keep her children as CSS has been involved. 

I agreed to give her and my niece and nephew a place to stay once she graduated rehab because I thought she really changed. She has only been in my house for one week and OD today and she would’ve died but on a whim my mom went to my house and saved her life. I cannot believe she did this after all the time and work she put in. She even went to DSS today and they were gonna clear her from from their system in a month. 

Me and my mom are at a loss for words right now. I really thought she changed and everything seemed so hopeful. She promised us she wouldn’t do this. We told her that we would only give her one chance and she was suppose to get a job so she could eventually get her own place. 

Now her children will most likely get taken away and now I’m most likely gonna kick her out. 

What are we suppose to do we’ve tried so many times to help her. Is there anything I should do in this situation. I recently went through a breakup and she’s been helping me so much and it breaks my heart now that she has done this. 

Any advice?

• Sad 1

Zenon,

As a mother of 3 young children I read your post and can’t help but worry and think about her children.

Is there no way anyone from your family can care for them? The thought of children so young, oh my goodness, going into care, it’s so wrong. Is there anything you or your Mum can do to take her children on? 

It’s so sad. Drug abuse at this level, it’s unbelievably hard to pull out of. It’s more powerful than love or life. I think her children need the focus now. She is fully grown, she is aware of what she is doing.

I just worry so so badly at the thought of vulnerable children being fostered or taken into care at the hands of who knows who. As Seraphim says, if they know you, feel secure with you or your immediate family - would this be an option?

I know if my younger sister had children and was in this situation there would be no question that those babies would be coming with me, by hook or by crook.

x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Zenon1267 said:

... since she was 19 to her current age of 28. 

I'm sorry you believed that this would be the magic moment for her, but what has history taught you about the likelihood of that?

Close your door and let her pursue any of the resources she's learned about over the course of her addiction, OR, let her hit the 'rock bottom' it may take for her to do that.

Meanwhile, protect her children from her the best you can, and my heart goes out to you and your family. 

• Thanks 1