Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Chapter 3

dias

The reality is, America became the power it is today due to of centuries of "eugenics". Immigrants upon immigrants arriving for a better future from day one. It was pure and simple, survival of the fittest for 5 centuries. People vs people/nature and the toughest/smartest/sliest survives. Every empire was more or less built on those conditions, from ancient Greeks/Romans to Spanish/French/British empires. It's kind of strange if you think that empires were built by competing with each other till only one was standing. That's nature though, what can we say, it is tough. 

What I can say is that I shouldn't have drunk that much. That's what you get when you start chatting with the bar-woman. 

Drawbacks: Nobody speaks English. Most people don't even know how good morning is in English. I only found one bartender who speaks English and that's why I went to the same bar twice. 

Second, the coffee is the worst coffee I ever tasted. The coffee in Atlanta was bad, here I had to spit it out. I who is a coffee addict to the maximum possible level. 🤔 

Third, it's more expensive than Athens but they have the same salaries. I know most people are struggling in Athens so imagine here.

The second is minor, the first no. If you move here you would definitely need Spanish lessons ASAP. 

That aside, it is very sunny and not windy. I think it's the best European city I have been so far all things considered.

• Like 1

Not very clear pictures because they were taken from my phone but you can see how beautiful it is. 

I am very impressed by the historical buildings and the city planning in general. You can tell there was an empire. The pictures don't really depict how impressive some buildings are. 

Hats off to the Spanish. 

2.jpg

1.jpg

• Like 1

One of the busiest weeks at work and it had to happen now.The last 3 days I have spent them inside a hotel most of the time. GRRRRRR

I am on the train to Barcelona now. From Madrid to Barcelona it's about  630 km. The fast train does it in 2 and a half hours more or less. It's dark outside so I didn't know how fast it goes. Accidentally I checked the screen they have and it showed "current speed:300km/h". I am like 😎.  Hope it does not get derailed because we will become a giant human meat tortilla with extra red sauce lol

• Like 1

I asked a bartender for a coffee tomorrow and she said yes. It's the first girl I find attractive who said yes on a coffee since the Mexican girl in New Orleans in May. 

I am happy and laughing with my desperation at the same time but it's been months that a girl I like wants to go for a coffee at least. Hopefully I will have fun and laugh as I really need it, let's not jinx it 😬 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Dias! 

I was a waitress/bar girl when the boy chatted me up on the job too! 

HEY! It’s a good sign Y’know! She will have gotten lots of offers before! You should be feeling pretty chuffed! 

Hats off! 

x

IMG_8186.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mylolita said:

Hey Dias! 

I was a waitress/bar girl when the boy chatted me up on the job too! 

HEY! It’s a good sign Y’know! She will have gotten lots of offers before! You should be feeling pretty chuffed! 

Hats off! 

x

Thanks Lolita 🙂 Actually what happened is interesting. I didn't manage to see her outside of work yesterday but today we will meet for a walk (fingers crossed lol). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, dias said:

image.thumb.png.8587d98db82ff4bddd74b2e2558f5655.pngHahahaha I didn't know there is a drinking age until my first visit in the US. 

LMAO! 

British drinking culture is like a badge of honour - I think most Americans would say the average Brit is an alcoholic who needs a therapist; and as comedian Jack Whitehall says, no, he is the designated driver 🤣

Most inventions and conspiracy and philosophies have been amalgamated over some pints, down the local pub 🕺

x

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, dias said:

Thanks Lolita 🙂 Actually what happened is interesting. I didn't manage to see her outside of work yesterday but today we will meet for a walk (fingers crossed lol). 

Be yourself - no pressure.

It’s you who is deciding whether she is a good match. Remember that and the power dynamic inside your mind might shift 🎉

x

6 hours ago, mylolita said:

Be yourself - no pressure.

It’s you who is deciding whether she is a good match. Remember that and the power dynamic inside your mind might shift 🎉

x

Now, isn't life funny and cruel?

So what happened is I arrived on Thursday at 9pm in Barcelona, I went for a beer at a bar before I go to sleep around 11pm. I initiated a casual chat with her, it seemed it went well, I made her laugh a bit so I asked her if I could buy her a drink sometime. She said sure and we agreed to meet at the bar the next day at 5pm. I was there of course at 5pm (punctual like a British as the expression goes). I waited till 5:17 (I remember because I checked my watch), the bar was close, nobody there so I am like ok another one of those. I wanted to do a bit of sightseeing so I left. 

About an hour later I received a message and friend request on LinkedIn and facebook. She searched me on LinkedIn and then found my channel and my facebook. She pinged me sorry she was late, she arrived at 5:18pm (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and assumed I left so she found me on social media and she gave me her phone. I ringed her, I asked her if she had a break from the bar that night, she told me she hasn't and I said I would come later from the bar to drink and eat something so we can chat a bit. 

I arrived there, we chatted a bit but as the bar was getting busier she didn't have enough time. She apologized about the previous incident and she said we could go another day although she is busy this period. I asked her if she wanted to go for a walk today for a couple of hours she said yes and she would text me albeit she only has a limited time window between 4pm and 7pm. Fine by me. She texted me this morning and we scheduled to meet at 4pm. I was like cool, we would walk at the seafront and sit for a drink at a fancy restaurant in the marina. Pretty spot.

She texted me at 3pm saying she can't make it....Ok.....first time shame on you, second time shame on me. She said we can reschedule tomorrow and started to apologize. I replied I can't tomorrow, maybe another day and take care. 

Exactly the same thing happened last week. But this time it wasn't from a dating app and we had chatted twice at the bar. It needs to happen a third time next week and I will get a strike!!! 

I am a tad disappointed about it because I fancied her. I must be giving the vibe I am a good target to play with, I can't explain it otherwise. 

As they say in football, if the ball doesn't want you....

Ahhh Dias,

I’m sorry my friend! This is how it sometimes goes huh. I don’t know what is with these people? So rude! 

It’s strange she wanted to reschedule? I wonder how it would play out if you waited for her a third time? Not that I recommend this but; it’s a bizarre thing isn’t it - these sudden bouts of, oh! I’m just SO busy! Your time is just as important as hers. I realise she apologised but, it’s not good. Bad sign ✍️ 

Thing is, you do it and walk the walk! Keep going! You weeded out two not so good ones - no loss! 

Maybe have a dance like me - LOL! This house is not getting decorated because I can’t stop dancing!!! Story of my life! Sorry son, no party tomorrow because I was too busy dancing till 3am 🤪

As Mariah Carey says, “gotta shake it off” 😙

x

• Like 1

Aside from that, I got my 34K steps today wandering around the seafront and taking photos. I liked the seafront and the marina. The sea itself does not impress me since I am from Greece but I liked the beach and the nice restaurants and bars in the marina. 

However, I don't put it next to Madrid. In Madrid the royalty lived. Barcelona is more modern and in general dirtier. I would live in Madrid, I wouldn't live in Barcelona. 

Barcelona Seafront.jpg

Plaça de Sonia Rescalvo Zafra.jpg

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

I'm confused -wasn't she just late the first time?

Yes. At least what she said. Whatever the reason, maybe she is indeed very busy, maybe she is the type who is always late, it doesn't matter, it wouldn't work for me. If I did that believe me I would have been blocked from everywhere. I won't go down this rabbit hole. 

9 minutes ago, dias said:

Yes. At least what she said. Whatever the reason, maybe she is indeed very busy, maybe she is the type who is always late, it doesn't matter, it wouldn't work for me. If I did that believe me I would have been blocked from everywhere. I won't go down this rabbit hole. 

That's good to know. I'm always early or on time.   I do a 5-10 minute grace period and then if there's a text and  the person won't be much longer and I can wait I do.  IMO she didn't cancel the first time - just one time.  Totally up to you of course!

12 minutes ago, mylolita said:

It’s strange she wanted to reschedule? I wonder how it would play out if you waited for her a third time? Not that I recommend this but; it’s a bizarre thing isn’t it - these sudden bouts of, oh! I’m just SO busy!

It is. However, I get the sense she would meet me eventually only when it would be convenient for her. 

• Like 1

I’m always disgracefully late, and anyone whose friends with me somehow puts up with this? I don’t know why! I know it’s terrible.

But I will add - I rushed my arse to my first date with the boy and I was only five minutes late which is, for me, the equivalent of when Jesus walked on water and turned bread into wine.

Unless she’s running a business empire and has 10 children, there is no excuse.

D often says to me, “If you had a year to get ready for one event, you’d still be half an hour late.”

It’s true. I am ignorant! 

x

• Haha 1

Everyone waits for me though because I’m a blast, and the charm and generosity and flamboyant break from everyone’s routine warrants it…forgivable 🥲

I would always text though. 

My wrist watch is set 15 minutes fast and has been for 10 years 🤣 lot of good that does me! 

I have a poster on the inside of my wardrobe door that says ‘Don’t Rush Me’ 🤣 this is the level of self absorption we’re at! 

Sorry your date didn’t poof up and show you the world like Aladdin and Jasmine. There will be another time! Another adventure! Beach looked really cool! 

x

• Like 1

I returned to Athens yesterday evening. I liked Barcelona but not to the extent of paying for a hotel when I have to stay inside most of the time during the week. It sucks when you have a lot of work during the week. I need proper holidays, a couple of ....years... would do it.  

Damn though, every time I come back I am sad. I am a nomad at heart. My heart longs for adventures and new land/city-scapes. It's difficult to describe the feeling. It's like when you expect to meet a gal you really like. Two years max, this is how long I am staying in Athens. Then I will try to find a remote job as a contractor (even for a lot less money) and travel wherever I want. Since I don't have much luck with the ladies anyway there is nothing to stop me. 

I am quite fed up with all the rules and procedures in the corporate world. Let alone the fact that it does not matter if you work harder and be more productive than the others when everyone will get the same payrise and most likely the person who is in the clique and kiss butts will get the promotion. 

I like to wander...a lot. 

Damn, born in the wrong century....