What is ghosting?

• 4 weeks later...

Ghosting is when someone you were dating or seeing, decides not to contact you anymore and doesn't give you an explanation why.

It's hurtful, irresponsible, disrespectful and somewhat cruel as everyone deserves to know why something didn't work out.

If someone ghosts you, try not to take it personally, but rather realize that there is something damaged in them to treat another human like that.

• Like 1
Just now, SherrySher said:

Ghosting is when someone you were dating or seeing, decides not to contact you anymore and doesn't give you an explanation why.

It's hurtful, irresponsible, disrespectful and somewhat cruel as everyone deserves to know why something didn't work out.

If someone ghosts you, try not to take it personally, but rather realize that there is something damaged in them to treat another human like that.

I also include friends who do this as well, not just romantic relationships.  I've been ghosted a few times by friends and it can be extremely hurtful.  I experienced having to tell someone who reappeared why I wasn't interest in having them reappear as more than a very casual acquaintance - because even though it was awkward I wanted to be the person who responded instead of ghosting.  It felt good, in response to "I've been thinking about you and was worried about you" (with no acknowledgement of the year plus long MIA/ghosting and after I responded to her vague text with "and yes we're fine and hope you and your family are too" ) - to write "what do you mean? you haven't been in touch in a long time."   Yes, I wasn't going to ghost.  Yes I wasn't comfortable allowing her to ignore her MIA behavior.