Texting "Etiquette" (aka help out the older generation)

I "broke up with/ghosted" a friend about 5 years ago, as she was similar to your friend.  She'd call, regardless of whether it was a good time for me or not, and go on...and on...and on....about some issue about which I had no idea how to help.  

We've resumed our friendship, and most recently, she's having medical issues and wants my advice.  Um, hellloooo....not a doctor.  

These days, we have lunch every other month or so, and keep our friendship to that.  We rarely talk/text anymore, as it frequently ends up in her overanalyzing some situation, and needing me to be her sounding board/advisor.  I'm not a doctor, a lawyer, or a therapist, and yes, I've been asked advice in all those areas.  

So I get your frustration with this friend.  But yes, we have to have boundaries.  I can often put my phone on speaker and clean my house for an hour while this one friend talks.  It's hard to get a word in edgewise, and it's frustrating.

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences! I do  the same with house cleaning but when my husband and son are home I can't do speaker and it's often too loud.  Most of the time I do not like prepping meals while on the phone -I'm a klutz and routinely mess up and also am a big handwasher/veggie washer etc so the water is constantly running.

I love how you handled it.