How can I improve my low mood? Why do I feel this way?

I’ve recently started my new job working as a newly qualified nurse, the ward is demanding and the staffing is bad at the moment which makes the job more stressful. I’m 3 months post a break-up, I had been feeling ok but now I’ve started this new job and I’m struggling, I feel overwhelmed and low in mood. I suddenly feel like something is missing from my life and like I need companionship. I even got back in contact with a previous ex over the weekend but now it’s just made me feel weird, for some reason I want the comfort of a partner… any advice on why you think this is and how I can overcome this low mood? I was enjoying being single and independent now I suddenly crave someone and feel lost. I feel like my self-esteem has taken a hit and I feel like I need validation and comfort from someone.

Oh no anon I really feel for you. It is super hard starting a new nursing career especially so soon after a break up. You are struggling more than likely because of the high stress of the role and when your you come home you are finding it difficult to switch off from the job as you no longer have anyone to talk your worries through with. Even if a partner has no idea what your job entails a listening and sympathetic ear is what you need to be able to wind down after a busy stressful day. 
But you are not yet ready for a new relationship so maybe you have a supportive friend or one of your old class buddies to talk the day through with. Both of you could each hash out your work days.

please don’t be too harsh on yourself this is a very stressful time for you. Don’t make unrealistic plans as they may be overwhelming and remember to be kind to yourself, pamper yourself. If you feel like you are tired and need a lazy day do just that and you will find your feet once again.

How about actual friends instead of ex's?  I've been there, almost reached out to an ex.. but was strong enough I didn't.

Is all a change for you.. the BU and new job so can understand the stresses 😕 .

Also, maybe get yourself a diff type of companion if you don't already.. cat, bird? 🙂 ... no need to seek a partner with all you've got going on at this time.

Also, remember self care ❤️ .  Eat well, get your rest, veg out in front of the tv & chill..etc.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, anon2021 said:

I’ve recently started my new job working as a newly qualified nurse. I’m 3 months post a break-up

Congratulations on the new career/job. Be easy on yourself it's stressful in the beginning at a new workplace.

Sorry about the breakup it will take time to heal. 

Keep saying to yourself: "I'm doing quite well and I'm only human".

Stay in touch with supportive friends and family. Try to make friends at work. Bring donuts or  something to a meeting or the breakroom. Learn people's names. Smile a lot.

Get a LinkedIn profile and join some professional organizations. Look up your new workplace and "connect" with people there, stay in touch with former classmates as well.

Keep reaching out to new and old friends. Not to confide in about the breakup, but to reconnect and strengthen connectedness to people.

• Like 1