27 years old, not feeling my chosen path

I'm 27 years old and a sophomore at my local university. I tried college years ago, had addiction issues and just hated school in general so I dropped out. I re-entered school after having been sober for a couple years and also finding out that due to my father's veteran status in the past, I was qualified for free college and a small amount of money each month (1200 or so) for going to school.

Since re-signing up one year ago I've maintained a 4.0 and everyone is proud of me and everything but I can't say I feel like I'm doing what I want to be doing. I started with a digital arts major and it wasn't what I expected so I switched to a film major which I'm also finding not to be what I've expected but I'm hesitant to switch majors yet again and don't even know what I would choose if I did. I would love to major in theater (my college's top major), psychology, women's studies and/ or social work but I've heard that these majors can be majorly pointless or you would need a phD to find a real job and I can't imagine being in school that long.

Another thing I'm not liking about college is that even with my monthly check (it is less than 1200 if we have time off school) and a job on the side, I am struggling financially quite a bit. My monthly check mostly goes to my rent and bills. I hate to admit sometimes my parents help me but I feel awful about it every time they do.

My #1 interest in life is spirituality and meditation though there's not really any majors that align with that interest (at least at my school, we don't even have a theology major) so here I am still doing film. I'm not sure what I'm expecting to get out of this post and I understand that a lot of people have their career path and then they have their hobbies, and that's fine. But a lot of those people are really unhappy because work takes up most of their time. I heard the saying once "if you love what you're doing you never work a day in your life" and that's the goal I have for myself in any chosen career path.

Any life advice from someone who can relate or who has been through a similar situation would really be appreciated. Thank you

8 minutes ago, Rose Mosse said:

Most careers require ongoing education so that's going to be a matter of you putting in the work and slowly gaining momentum in your career. It takes time. Why not speak with a career counsellor at school or an undergraduate advisor?

Good idea, I am setting up a meeting with an advisor. Thanks for the reply.

• Like 2

Are you doing what you WANT to do, or what other people (parents for e.g.) are telling you you SHOULD do?

56 minutes ago, somechick99 said:

I've maintained a 4.0 and everyone is proud of me and everything but I can't say I feel like I'm doing what I want to be doing

There's the answer. You are not. Everyone is proud except of you.

Take a pause and reflect.

56 minutes ago, somechick99 said:

would love to major in theater (my college's top major), psychology, women's studies and/ or social work but I've heard that these majors can be majorly pointless or you would need a phD to find a real job and I can't imagine being in school that long

That's not true. If people around you told you that, it's not true. With psychology, you can become a psychologist/therapist, and these are in high high demand these days. Demand on Social workers also keeps on expanding as NGOs keep on getting fundings from the non-stop issues around the world. You could work with the biggest NGOs (think your red cross or UN) to the smallest ones. If you work in theatre, it might not be full time, and you'll need to work a side job (bar tending/...) But you'll find a way. You just need to be realistic with yourself.

There are plenty of jobs. 0 PhD needed. Don't let anyone steer your ship with their baseless opinions. Most probably, they are thinking of themselves when they tell you what to do. They are projecting. And from what I'm reading, I have a feeling you didn't and still don't have your voice listened to at home. It's sounds it's dismissed/disregarded by the ones who should love you and support you. I'd suggest you explore that.

And, I agree with Rose. A visit with a career counselor would help- but don't let it hide your true inner voice. Your inner calling.

Listen to your inner calling and whatever you'll study, tell yourself: I will manage. No matter what people say around you. No matter what noise and negative judgment they bring, again: I will manage. I deserve to be happy and honour my desires. What they think of me is none of my business. And, what I do with my life, is none of their business.

• Thanks 1

What you might want to do is get a “job” that’s not a career but related to what you studied and that pays better because you have a degree. Then use your free time to volunteer in areas you have true passion for.  Save your pennies so you might be able either to get an advanced degree to pursue your passion or so you can take a pay it to do so. 
it’s impressive that you returned to school. I personally feel college is not for everyone but if it’s at all possible then do it unless the person is passionate about a trade or other career where a technical education as opposed to a college degree is what gets you there. 
good luck!  (I went to grad school a couple of years after college to pursue a dream I had and happened to be more lucrative too - other then marriage and motherhood best decision I ever made and I graduated over 25 years ago) 

19 hours ago, somechick99 said:

I'm 27 years old and a sophomore at my local university. I tried college years ago, had addiction issues and just hated school in general so I dropped out. I re-entered school after having been sober for a couple years and also finding out that due to my father's veteran status in the past, I was qualified for free college and a small amount of money each month (1200 or so) for going to school.

Since re-signing up one year ago I've maintained a 4.0 and everyone is proud of me and everything but I can't say I feel like I'm doing what I want to be doing. I started with a digital arts major and it wasn't what I expected so I switched to a film major which I'm also finding not to be what I've expected but I'm hesitant to switch majors yet again and don't even know what I would choose if I did. I would love to major in theater (my college's top major), psychology, women's studies and/ or social work but I've heard that these majors can be majorly pointless or you would need a phD to find a real job and I can't imagine being in school that long.

Another thing I'm not liking about college is that even with my monthly check (it is less than 1200 if we have time off school) and a job on the side, I am struggling financially quite a bit. My monthly check mostly goes to my rent and bills. I hate to admit sometimes my parents help me but I feel awful about it every time they do.

My #1 interest in life is spirituality and meditation though there's not really any majors that align with that interest (at least at my school, we don't even have a theology major) so here I am still doing film. I'm not sure what I'm expecting to get out of this post and I understand that a lot of people have their career path and then they have their hobbies, and that's fine. But a lot of those people are really unhappy because work takes up most of their time. I heard the saying once "if you love what you're doing you never work a day in your life" and that's the goal I have for myself in any chosen career path.

Any life advice from someone who can relate or who has been through a similar situation would really be appreciated. Thank you

Well, I think a degree in psychology would translate very well into a career dealing with spirituality or meditation. Honestly you can do a lot with either of those things if you are creative enough and consistent enough. 

For meditation, you can start trying out meditation retreats where you learn with seasoned meditators. You can start a blog, Tik Tok, IG, etc. Sam Harris is a neuroscientist and he made a meditation app. A degree in psychology can help you explain to people the positive effects of meditation on the mind or brain. 

I mean, you don't even need a degree in psychology. Just really think hard about what you would enjoy doing every day when you get up in the morning, then make a plan to achieve that. If that plan doesn't include finishing school, then that's fine! As long as you stay consistent and work hard toward your goal. You may need to do some research! 

• Thanks 1

A piece of paper will never define you, but no one can take it away once you have it.  A degree always opens doors, so even if film and digital arts aren't for you, finish getting a degree anyway since it's free.  Live with roommates to help cut expenses. Volunteer, join committees, go to networking events...you'll find your way.  Remember, you need to earn a living, and you don't have to have it fulfill you.  You can always have passions outside of your paying gig.

1 hour ago, tattoobunnie said:

A piece of paper will never define you, but no one can take it away once you have it.  A degree always opens doors, so even if film and digital arts aren't for you, finish getting a degree anyway since it's free.  Live with roommates to help cut expenses. Volunteer, join committees, go to networking events...you'll find your way.  Remember, you need to earn a living, and you don't have to have it fulfill you.  You can always have passions outside of your paying gig.

I would strongly advise against going for any higher education if the person would ever regard it as just a piece of paper.  It's not worth all that work for just a piece of paper and that mindset sucks the joy and passion out of it.  Completely agree that many degrees open doors of all kinds -I just wouldn't do a 4 year degree if just a piece of paper, much less a grad degree.  I also echoed the passions outside of work -huge fan of that!

I should clarify.  There are a lot of positions that write you off if you don't have a degree.  Most hiring sites and recruiters will use pre-screen automations, and depending on the position, will automatically discount you even if you have a ton of relevant experience.

And when I call it a piece of paper, I mean, you can get a degree in one thing, but down the road, pursue a career in something completely different, and that's okay.  Many successful people have failed many, many times in their life...it's what you do afterwards by picking yourself up is what makes all the difference.

In lots of cases, classes aren't even to give you a taste of what the industry is like.  But you can get hands-on experience through INTERNSHIPS and Coops...they are your friends. 

1 minute ago, tattoobunnie said:

I should clarify.  There are a lot of positions that write you off if you don't have a degree.  Most hiring sites and recruiters will use pre-screen automations, and depending on the position, will automatically discount you even if you have a ton of relevant experience.

And when I call it a piece of paper, I mean, you can get a degree in one thing, but down the road, pursue a career in something completely different, and that's okay.  Many successful people have failed many, many times in their life...it's what you do afterwards by picking yourself up is what makes all the difference.

In lots of cases, classes aren't even to give you a taste of what the industry is like.  But you can get hands-on experience through INTERNSHIPS and Coops...they are your friends. 

I think when a person applies for a job "cold" that is more likely to happen especially if the position has "degree required" - they have to have a cut off point.  Also the accomplishment of a college degree IMO says something about the person and that something might be one of the qualities the employer is looking for.  So do skills gained outside of school -that also says something -but perhaps a different (not worse or better just different) something. 

Two of the jobs I loved I got because of the face to  face/personal aspect.  In one case, I was her daughter's teacher and she gave me a job in her new business -completely unrelated to my teaching job (a summer job that then became more permanent) 

In another case I had an interview with a recruiter -again for more of a temp job before grad school - and as soon as I met her I realized I wanted to work for her.  I was in my early 20s.  She told me I seemed overqualified for the position I was there to see her about so I said "well actually I'd like to work for you" -she asked me what I would want to do in that role and I told her.  I worked with her till I went to grad school.  Neither of those situations would have worked without the face to face/personal connections - not because of "no degree" but because when you're one of many applying cold to a position there's so little room for out of the box thinking.  

6 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

Neither of those situations would have worked without the face to face/personal connections - not because of "no degree" but because when you're one of many applying cold to a position there's so little room for out of the box thinking.  

Speaking from my hub's personal experience of not being to find work in his field during a pandemic, and not qualified for almost all available positions in his field because he didn't finish college, even though he's taken at least 4 years of college.  He finally found a job that's in a completely related field, and starts in two weeks. 

It's one thing if the OP is just spending volumes of money.  But, he's not. He has a great and free opportunity to learn, and he is looking for motivation.

And on a personal note, I'm also speaking with my Bachelors and Masters...what I do now is 100% unrelated, but that education completely adds so much to what I do now, and only benefitted from it.

I also find that once you get married, and have kids, getting back is school is not easy.  The OP is 27...I am definitely advising him to stay in college to finish.  The issue is here, he's just not sure what he wants to ultimately do.

3 minutes ago, tattoobunnie said:

I also find that once you get married, and have kids, getting back is school is not easy.  The OP is 27...I am definitely advising him to stay in college to finish.  The issue is here, he's just not sure what he wants to ultimately do.

I know of many who didn't finish college but almost and suffered financially and professionally because of it.  I know it's challenging.  I agree with all -really good info - and especially what I quoted.  I was able to do grad school because my parents let me live at home (yes, single, no children) - and yes I've seen as an outsider how hard it is.  I can tell you especially when my son was really young I wouldn't have had the endurance to do any sort of brain work outside of the brain work of raising him!

Your education is subsidized so make use of it. Have the pieces of paper even if you decide to make paper airplanes out of them one day. You won't regret it. It'll also teach you to think critically. 

Let us know how the meetings with your advisors go. Also keep in mind that academic advisors want business and students enrolling so parse the info and make your own decision.

4 hours ago, Rose Mosse said:

Your education is subsidized so make use of it. Have the pieces of paper even if you decide to make paper airplanes out of them one day. You won't regret it. It'll also teach you to think critically. 

Let us know how the meetings with your advisors go. Also keep in mind that academic advisors want business and students enrolling so parse the info and make your own decision.

My academic advisors were never ever like this -the opposite actually.  They're not in a business in that way or selling courses, etc - certainly they don't want students who fail or drop out/withdraw from coursework that is not a good fit. Certainly colleges who want to recruit certain students to come may exaggerate the benefits of that school. Or the for profit online trade schools.