Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What will the “ new normal “ be?

Seraphim

Hopefully we all start respecting people we have previously deemed to be working "unskilled", low paid jobs and stop treating the people who work those jobs like what they do is worthless. Grocery workers, cleaners, care workers, delivery drivers and so on have kept things going during this pandemic, at personal risk to themselves. I can think of some occupations that have enjoyed greater status and pay that I don't think anyone has missed during the pandemic.  

• 1 month later...

Good question. I've wondered this myself.

1.) I think Zoom meetings will become more commonplace and there will be more WFH opportunities for the jobs that can accomodate such arrangements. I welcome this. In-person meetings are a chore and it's silly to have to travel to go to one. Just do it online. WFH is great for many professions because it saves the business money (no renting a huge office building for everyone M-F) and it enables more flexibility and comfort for the employees.

Personally, I look forward to the future because with the career I'm going into, there are tons of high-paying WFH opportunities if I want them and I love the idea of that becoming more prevalent, especially as I get older. It would actually mean I could continue working, even on a part time basis, at an advanced age if I want to. Keep my mind sharp and with WFH, I can continue to work even if I develop some medical problems because I don't have to worry about a commute. 

2.) I think people will think twice about going into crowded areas without a mask. I don't necessarily believe this is permanent but it's going to take many people a LONG time to feel comfortable doing things like that again. 

3.) I think mask-wearing will become more prevalent going forward in the US and other countries. Asian countries already had mask-wearing but now I think we will join them, especially in the cold/flu season. I won't go out in public indoor areas without a mask now during cold/flu season in the future. It keeps my face warm AND stops me from being sick? Hell yes.

Remember, cold, flu, and other respiratory illnesses that are not COVID-19 are spread through droplet transmission. Unlike COVID, there is not an airborne component. That means wearing a mask and practicing good hygiene is sufficient. 

Archived