cotalava

Did I say I let others know? Lol. You are jumping to conclusions. We phoned- no answer, we sent pics what else are we supposed to do? We then FaceTimed with his sister who was with his mom but she didn’t say anything. She called back two days later and seemed genuinely happy for us and expressed wanting to be involved in the wedding planning.

Her response was not sarcastic at all and I heard it as well when she phoned me post engagement “me and Jennifer wanted to plan this whole thing we had so many ideas” (Jennifer being the sister) she is genuine about that truly wanted a big fiasco for the engagement even though my fiancé didn’t want that.

I clearly have discussed all this with my fiancé and that’s why I am here- to get unbiased opinions. He thinks his mom is being unusually strange about the whole situation.

Unless parents live out of state, its customary to tell parents in person -- even if you can't tell them the day you got engaged. You have dinner with them or ask if you can drop by. Maybe that's not all families though...

It's ridiculous the MIL got upset that your fiance proposed to you "just between you". Of course he did! You propose just with your partner there, you don't invite anyone else! Did she want him to organise a dinner and she would be sitting with you at the table too while he proposed? It doesn't even make sense why she would be upset at this. You are adults and you're allowed to live your own life as a couple. You don't have to report to her about every single thing you're doing and include her in literally everything. Especially because she doesn't make much effort to be nice and actually reach out to you. But because it's not your mother, I think your best course of action is just politeness and to stay out of it. You are stuck with her now because you're getting married to her son. I think you need to try to make this as pleasant as possible and not have any tensions.

I hate "public" proposals myself.

Archived