Cold Shoulder after argument, how to proceed?

love2much

I am so sorry. I read every word you shared and I hear the deep pain you are feeling. You have received so many responses to your post which shows how much so many care about your story. As hard as it is and not what you probably wish you would hear, it sounds like there are some serious concerns in this relationship. Yes, you should not have talked as you did...but you apologized and you owned it. We all say and do things we wish we didn't! That's where forgiveness comes in....we can't be in ANY relationship, whether it's parental, sibling, friend, marriage, without having forgiveness in our hearts as we all messed up and do things we are not proud of. You need to forgive yourself and let this go. There has been dishonesty, unkindness, insensitivity, etc. and the relationship is relatively new. You might want to consider the reality of all the behavior you have seen and really assess if this is healthy for YOU. If you are not able to do that on your own, reach out to trusted family or friends to talk it through. A counselor may help as well. We need to safeguard our hearts when our hearts are being wounded, but being re-wounded over and over. This is not real love. Real love is other-centered where there is compassion and room to mess up because we offer each other grace. I wish you peace and I wish you the best.

He hasn't "broken up" with me, but the communication is very dry and sparse, and we only see each other if I ask to see him, it feels as if I'm losing him slowly and that one day he will just disappear for good. When we have our discussions he will say things like, Hey "dumb dumb," I say what do you even mean by calling me that, he will say you are not "dumb," so I'm showing how you are behaving and talking is seeming like it. He will say, your education and resume by far surpasses anyone I have ever met so I know you're more educated that this to tell me that communicating your feelings is what caused this.

I would do him the favor of breaking up. If he only communicates sparsely, i would just stop answering him. And if he asks to see you, say "no. I am not interested in seeing you anymore." i normally do not advocate breaking up by text, but for people who are already 'taking a break' and are emotionally manipulative, you might weaken in person/by phone and not do it

Archived