Feeling of dread waking up

Does anyone else get this every morning.

The first few weeks after breaking up I woke up with reality hitting me and wanting to cry, but now it's more just an overwhelming feeling of dread and hopelessness upon waking up.

It makes me not want to get out of bed and just hide under the covers, kind of like there's nothing worth getting up for.

Once I'm up the feeling quickly subsides..I'm not suddenly happy but I'm not quite as depressed.

Is this just a normal part of the grieving process and will it eventually go away?

Yes, it's normal and it will get better. You're going through a break-up. Not sure what your experience is like or how long you were together...but I assure you, par for the course.

It's been 6 weeks since my breakup and (like you) mornings are the worst. I experience the same things especially after dreaming about her. The first 3 weeks were hands down brutal. But I can happily say in the 6th week, I see a major difference in my emotions. Don't get me wrong, I still have my ups and downs but it's more like every 2-3 days vs. everyday.

Things I've done in the AM that seemed to combat it:

-Work out/Run/Walk first thing in the morning

-Have a nice/healthy breakfast

-Take vitamins

-Journal (Especially writing down things you're grateful for)

-Meditate

-Plan out your day. Write down all your small goals you want to get accomplished

The rest is just time healing through time.

now it's more just an overwhelming feeling of dread and hopelessness upon waking up.

I've had that, and it did go away. It used to wake me up in the middle of the night. Eventually, I learned to just get up when that happened. Read a book, watch a movie. Trying to get back to sleep with that mindset was awful.

That feeling came and went over the course of a few years. It wasn't related to a break up, just to life in general, a sense of dissatisfaction, and a fear that I was doing the wrong thing or missing the point.

If you're no contact, the dread and hopelessness will eventually go away because that person will slowly be filtered out of your daily life. Like others suggested, distraction from the emotions and engagement with life help a lot. Really make an effort to notice when you're not feeling as hopeless and note what you're doing and who you're with. Then, do more of it. Sorry you're still in a rough spot!

If you're no contact, the dread and hopelessness will eventually go away because that person will slowly be filtered out of your daily life. Like others suggested, distraction from the emotions and engagement with life help a lot. Really make an effort to notice when you're not feeling as hopeless and note what you're doing and who you're with. Then, do more of it. Sorry you're still in a rough spot!

Yeah, NC is the real beauty. As long as you're not making any new memories of this person in any way, they'll eventually take up less head-space. Everything else will work itself out.

Thanks, I went to see some friends earlier, just to chat about everything and get a bit more clarity really helped.

I'd kind of been avoiding seeing anyone because of how bad I've been feeling, but I realised that is probably what's been making me feel worse. Sometimes you just need to talk about it and let it all out with people who care about you.

Is this just a normal part of the grieving process and will it eventually go away?

While it's typical of grieving, there's nothing about the grief process that happens 'to' us without our participation. We decide whether to focus on climbing out of grief and beyond it, or whether we will drill ourselves into a deeper hole to climb out of.

We frame everything according to this decision.

If we passively wait for healing, we become more susceptible to boredom and stagnation and self created dramas that weigh heavily and make healing difficult. If we opt for active healing, we remain focused on pursuit of interests, goals and building stronger bonds with the people in our lives who we may have neglected before our breakup.

While morning dread is not necessarily a symptom of wallowing, it can be used to justify wallowing, or it can be pushed aside by a decision to focus beyond it.

Head high, you get to pick.

Archived