How would you guys deal with a friend that always says that she's broke?

Caty

I've never asked or expected gas money from anyone where a destination is my intended target anyway. I've never noticed who brings what to a gathering other than to thank them. So absence of a contribution doesn't even make my radar.

I've never thought less of a person for opting out of any plans made as a group. Whether their reason is cost or anything else, I consider that to be private. A group of 2 to 4 is just as good to me as a group of 5 or 6.

The thing is that she expect me to hold her hand all the time.

I'm not sure what that means, but her expectations have no bearing on what you choose to deliver.

I've asked her several times if she wants to hang out at my place to watch a movie, but she almost never replies to my messages [...] and then complain that she's lonely.

Why would you invite a person who annoys you to do anything? If you share the same social group, be friendly when your paths cross, but there's no need to stick your neck out. Complaints of loneliness don't obligate you to solve the problem. You can simply say, "I'm sorry to hear that."

You're not a fan of this person, so I'd just limit my exposure to her. If others have problems with her, that's on them, not me. I wouldn't take any bait to complain about her myself, because she's not my choice of friend--so if others start opting out of including her, that works for me even while my hands remain clean, and so does my reputation for not badmouthing anyone.

Archived