Getting to know yourself

curtis27

Since you asked in a previous reply:

Some activities you might look into that I do regularly:

A book club

Painting and crafting classes

Board game groups

Meetup social events(Meetup.com)

As for getting to know yourself, all you can do is try new things, and see. Is the question because you feel like you don't have any hobbies or clear likes? What do you know about yourself and what you like?

Since you asked in a previous reply:

Some activities you might look into that I do regularly:

A book club

Painting and crafting classes

Board game groups

Meetup social events(Meetup.com)

As for getting to know yourself, all you can do is try new things, and see. Is the question because you feel like you don't have any hobbies or clear likes? What do you know about yourself and what you like?

Pretty much. I'm just starting on working to get to know myself better. I got out the navy recently and I'm realizing that I don't know myself as much as I want to. I guess I'm having trouble where to start

Pretty much. I'm just starting on working to get to know myself better. I got out the navy recently and I'm realizing that I don't know myself as much as I want to. I guess I'm having trouble where to start

Thank you for your service! I would definitely consider the suggestions above on commonly offered group activities, but if it's basic questions answered such as what movies do you like or what music. Make a list of the genres and google a top ten list for each and then watch/listen. Same for books. Write down how you felt about each then look more into things you like. Our world is full of wonderful exciting things to discover.

Thank you for your service! I would definitely consider the suggestions above on commonly offered group activities, but if it's basic questions answered such as what movies do you like or what music. Make a list of the genres and google a top ten list for each and then watch/listen. Same for books. Write down how you felt about each then look more into things you like. Our world is full of wonderful exciting things to discover.

I mean I know what movies I like and things like that. I guess I just have to live and do other things out of my comfort zone to figure out the rest.

I learned about my self in significant ways 3 times:

1 - my New Years resolution one year was to do things that scared me. I signed up for Groupon and did everything from ice climbing to driving a race car. I learned how strong I was by doing things that scared me and it made me more confident.

2 - I traveled alone somewhat extensively. You learn the most about yourself this way, IMO. Spent 6 weeks in Europe alone and had to navigate the cultural, linguistic, and transportation barriers independently. I had to learn how to control my emotions under extreme stress, communicate with others (with all the above barriers), and do so alone.

3 - I was dumped and spent a LOT of time reflecting. Figured out where I was to blame and actively tried to improve them.

I don't recommend getting dumped but I do recommend the other things. I learned more in those 6 weeks of traveling, for instance, than I did through all of college.

Archived