Open Club  ·  93 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Valentine's Day when you don't do hearts and flowers romance...

nutbrownhare

This is what grips my sh1t about Valentines day and probably every other event ... I get emails from places I have subscribed to and online shopping etc .. now I can understand getting endless emails off Moonpig ....but I just got one of Ancestry .. and then sports direct ...every thing that can be sold will be adapted to tempt the joe public ..

In a couple of days they will all start on Mothers day . ....

The area where my partner lives features many old collieries, monuments to the now-defunct coal industry. I have drawn him, very carefully, a complex picture of one of the old mines... and inside, the card says: "Be Mine!"

(In fact, I'm now wondering if this sort of things might be the first of an 'Alternative Valentines' range. Hmmm.... Valenternatives.... if this takes off, remember you saw it here first!)

The area where my partner lives features many old collieries, monuments to the now-defunct coal industry. I have drawn him, very carefully, a complex picture of one of the old mines... and inside, the card says: "Be Mine!"

(In fact, I'm now wondering if this sort of things might be the first of an 'Alternative Valentines' range. Hmmm.... Valenternatives.... if this takes off, remember you saw it here first!)

I think that's really cute and clever.

oh I love that , and I didn't realise you where that part of the country ..I am a notherner ..just living down south ,

oh I love that , and I didn't realise you where that part of the country ..I am a notherner ..just living down south ,

I live in Bromsgrove, my guy is renting a house in a former mining village on the outskirts of Nottingham. Actually those old collieries have their own kind of grandeur, I think - and a lot of the old mills and warehouses are magnificent pieces of architecture.

I'd never intended it this way, but I've spent most of my adult life in the Midlands! (Apart from five years in Hastings/St Leonards)

I live in Bromsgrove, my guy is renting a house in a former mining village on the outskirts of Nottingham. Actually those old collieries have their own kind of grandeur, I think - and a lot of the old mills and warehouses are magnificent pieces of architecture.

I'd never intended it this way, but I've spent most of my adult life in the Midlands! (Apart from five years in Hastings/St Leonards)

I don't know why but I thought you were actually across the pond until that post . I should have known because of the hours we keep . For me it sounds like photographers paradise for sure ...I would love a walk round where you are . I am from Hull , but keep coming here to Milton Keynes .

OHHH it has just started to snow here ..woop

I am from Hull , but keep coming here to Milton Keynes .

I was BORN in Hull, on purpose, because my (late) father was a Yorkshire fundamentalist and wanted me to be able to play cricket for the county team! In fact, I was up there working on a public art project last year. My grandmother's family had lived in the East Riding since the 13th century. She was not at all impressed when it became North Humberside...

I was BORN in Hull, on purpose, because my (late) father was a Yorkshire fundamentalist and wanted me to be able to play cricket for the county team! In fact, I was up there working on a public art project last year. My grandmother's family had lived in the East Riding since the 13th century. She was not at all impressed when it became North Humberside...

oh my god NO WAY ....oh wow ... I fellow Hullian on Ena .... now that has made me smile wider then a wide mouthed frog . I bet you saw some changes if you went last year . I mean there has been HUGE changes ..Hull gets such bad rep but it is fabulous . There is so much to see and do and it is indeed filled with history .

Update: He gave me a card which was a printout of a spectacularly dramatic waterfall at a place we visited recently; now that genuinely WAS romantic. He also gave me a glove puppet of a very cuddly rat (I hasten to say, I love rodents and this was no exception!) which has a very spectacular tail which stuck out of the side of the parcel.

All in all, an unqualified success!

Archived