South Florida Florida Abuse / Aid

Bubblegum2991

I am trying to get out of an abusive relationship. The abuse is largely verbal. There have only been a few isolated incidents in which he has laid hands on me.

We have 2 children, under 5, and I am trying to get out of this situation. I need help in finding a place to stay and childcare. I actually get free counseling through my EAP benefits at my company. However, I can not find any of this sort of help.

I tried calling women in distress and they weren't at all helpful. In fact they just kept putting me on hold, and telling me they could not help me.

Does anyone have any suggestions or resources? This would be greatly appreciated.

Some things, you'll have to do on your own like this. It's your job to look for a place and daycare. Ask your employer about day care and contact some realtors about apts. You live with him and he watches the kids so you'll have to adjust to this.

However that's not all you'll have to do. Contact an attorney about leaving and what the ramifications may be as well as visitation/custody, etc. He doesn't work, you're supporting his mr mom choice so you may end up paying child support.

There are much more urgent and dire cases than yours, so you won't qualify for a shelter, etc. You'll have to begin by stealthy severing things and contacting an attorney about your specific situation.

Domestic violence agencies handle the neediest cases first, not just those who expect someone to browse through apt. ads and daycare centers.

I need help in finding a place to stay and childcare. I actually get free counseling through my EAP benefits at my company. However, I can not find any of this sort of help.
Some things, you'll have to do on your own like this. It's your job to look for a place and daycare. Ask your employer about day care and contact some realtors about apts. You live with him and he watches the kids so you'll have to adjust to this.

However that's not all you'll have to do. Contact an attorney about leaving and what the ramifications may be as well as visitation/custody, etc. He doesn't work, you're supporting his mr mom choice so you may end up paying child support.

There are much more urgent and dire cases than yours, so you won't qualify for a shelter, etc. You'll have to begin by stealthy severing things and contacting an attorney about your specific situation.

Domestic violence agencies handle the neediest cases first, not just those who expect someone to browse through apt. ads and daycare centers.

I am fully aware that finding a place and childcare is my responsibily to find a place and childcare.

Its just that I also recognize that the childcare situation is going to change drastically. He will be difficult about helping me in anyway, which I know from experience. Affording a place on my own is one thing, and I can possibly manage that. Childcare is an entirely different story.

I realize that there are maybe no programs aimed to help people like me. After all, you can survive verbal abuse right? But I have to ask. Just in case. Because right now, I will honestly take all of the help I can get. There is no point in being ashamed to ask because everyone seems to agree that I need to leave. When it comes to actually doing it, the fact is I will be alone.

Its pretty terrifying.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will probably just end up pulling up my big girl panta for this though.

I am fully aware that finding a place and childcare is my responsibily to find a place and childcare.

Its just that I also recognize that the childcare situation is going to change drastically. He will be difficult about helping me in anyway, which I know from experience. Affording a place on my own is one thing, and I can possibly manage that. Childcare is an entirely different story.

I realize that there are maybe no programs aimed to help people like me. After all, you can survive verbal abuse right? But I have to ask. Just in case. Because right now, I will honestly take all of the help I can get. There is no point in being ashamed to ask because everyone seems to agree that I need to leave. When it comes to actually doing it, the fact is I will be alone.

Its pretty terrifying.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will probably just end up pulling up my big girl panta for this though.

Then don't depend on him for anything. Get a lawyer. Get custody. Get child support set up but be prepared you might get nothing. You can't depend on him to help at all. You have to figure it out for the sake of your kids. It will be tough. But the resources provided should help you finding employment or low income housing etc.

Abuse is abuse. Doesn't matter if it's physical or not and he said he has physically assaulted you.

Yes you do have to put on your big girl pants when kids are involved.

Archived