How do I deal with this, can barely talk to him

I've got a crush. I know he is off limits, and I shouldn't date right now anyway (separated, getting a divorce). I've dealt with the initial rush of pain that nothing can come of it. There is no way that I am going to totally avoid him. We come into contact several days a week. I have real, legitimate reasons that I have to talk to him. Heck, I just want to talk to him (nice that I don't have to make up reasons).

But I get tongue tied. I look at him, and then all I want to do is look at him, but if I did that would lead to potential awkwardness. So I forget to ask the questions I need to ask, and sometimes I avoid him because I'm scared what I feel will show. I don't want him to know I see him this way because I think he would be so kind to me about it, and that's almost worse than rejecting me cruelly.

I want to be relaxed around him. Does anyone have any tips on how I could manage that. I'm half afraid he will be able to read the feelings just through casual eye contact. Eyes...I could drown in his.

Is this a sort of rebound attraction? One day I want to find someone that makes me feel what I feel around this man. Maybe someone that looks like him, too. In otherwords, a twin that is not off limits.

Laroness

Try not to get depressed about it either because it will just make you feel bad about yourself and you really don't want to end up doing that, trust me! Sort out your problems first and then think about dating. I think it would be bad for you to date in your current situation. Work on being you first. Be yourself and leave the future open.

Good Luck.

~S.

We are friends, just not the kind that goes and does stuff together (not yet anyway). Honestly, I don't really know him very well, if I did then I might feel differently. If nothing else, he certainly is a decent person, and I would be overjoyed to know him better.

It is annoying to have this crush...maybe it is uncomfortable sometimes...but if there was a pill or a shot for getting rid of a crush, I would not take it. Makes of *that* what you will.

Here's a line from the manga and anime "Fruits Basket."

"Just be yourself. You'll be fine." - Tohru's deceased mother. It applies to lots of situations, huh.

Avoiding him won't make it easier to talk to him when I need to. I'm a champion of ignoring things, and pretending I didn't have trouble talking to him did nothing. I need to face it.

He knows I'm a bit shy, and that I don't like being that way. I'm going to try again tonight. I have a couple questions for him, anyway.

I dont mean avoid the situation completely

I didn't think you did. It was just a general response to the application of distractions. If I did have friends to do stuff with, I gladly would, but the few friends I have are really busy right now, are away in college, or they live 6 hours away. Some social interaction with people other than my family might be nice. Might even help me talk to the guy, I am somewhat isolated right now.

As I said, joe, we aren't yet the type of friends who go out and do stuff. He helped me deal with some things and he really didn't have to.

I never said I held a deep understanding of the emotional stuff. How hard can it be to talk to him? You have no idea. I don't get it either.