Am I depressed from my job or just depressed :/

Hi guys , I've been dealing with this for a few months now. I work in an office job and have been finding it so hard to get out of bed in the morning. I've been delaying work projects and have had no motivation to do any work. I feel ungrateful at times because it pays well and many people would be happy just to have a job. I have a very tough boss that has berated me when I first started, in front of others on a new project I was not even informed about and that has made me very reluctant and almost afraid to communicate with said boss. Just overall not really a nice person and could be very rude and insensitive. I have recently heard others complain about this boss so I know I'm not the only one. Am I being over sensitive? I legit feel almost paralyzed and that I do not want to be in this office and like I am holding a grudge. But with other supervisors I feel comfortable and have no problem completing assignments and getting excellent reviews. I have contemplated finding a new job but I don't know if I am the problem and I will encounter another bad boss and have the same issues going forward. My outside work life is good I have a close relationship with family and friends and enjoy going to the gym and some hobbies. I just feel on the verge of depressed and need some advice. If it helps I am not necessarily introverted but I would say more adverse to conflict and very passive/laid back. Thanks !

I'd say that if one rude boss and just one incident has such a lasting and severe effect on you, then it's not normal and there is something else going on with you. Especially when you say that you have a hard time getting out of bed, delaying projects, etc. despite the fact that the majority of your life, including work life, seems to be normal and fulfilling. Go see a doctor and soon. Something is off and it doesn't sound like it's just work or a bad boss.

Hi thanks for the response. To be fair though she is constantly rude and condescending. The good thing is she's not in the office often due to meetings etc but when I do have to report to this boss or work with her its always a dreadful experience and I'm not the only one to feel this way towards her. But I think maybe I am overly sensitive because there are people here who have been here for many years and just say "it's just a job all bosses are tough anywhere"

I guess it just sounds like you are exhibiting symptoms of actual depression so that's why I'm saying to go see a doctor soon. Depression can also make you much more emotional, anxious, hyper sensitive, etc. Something that you'd normally just shake your head at can bring you to tears and make you feel incapacitated. I guess from what you've written, the totality of your picture sounds a lot like many symptoms of actual depression. Having said that, I'm not the arm chair psychiatrist so not saying I'm right or anything, just that in your shoes, I'd go and see a doctor and see what they say and eliminate any health issues before I consider quitting a good job.

Considering you never get your work done, and act like a drag at work, I wouldn't think highly of you as an employee.

It sounds like that behaviour came after she was berated by the boss, not before. She was berated from the boss very shortly after starting, so she wouldn't have even had time to get lazy by that point.

Instead of the OP addressing it with her boss, looking for another job, the OP instead internalizes it. No one is holding a gun to the OP's head telling them to not say anything.

There are plenty of people who are rude and condescending, yet I manage to get up and out of bed no problem. No one is forcing the OP to become unmotivated.

I agree that seeking an assessment is a good idea. You're trying to tough out this time, and you're sinking. Identifying whether the boss has demotivated you or whether it's something else with you is irrelevant because that information is only speculative and doesn't move you anywhere nearer to resolving the problem.

There are experts available who have trained their whole adult lives to help you resolve this, and the only way to learn your options would be to find them out--not to ruminate at the level of the problem.

Head high, and I hope you'll stay in touch and let us know how things go.

Archived