Suicide Survey

I want to create a suicide survey here for the purpose of raising awareness about the problem, and allowing honest but confidential discussion about the topic.

There is how it will work. If you want to participate in the survey, you can send the responses to me via a PERSONAL MESSAGE and I will post them without revealing any body's identity. I won't even look at who sent the message...I will just cut and paste the answers.....

Here are the questions:

1. Have you ever seriously considered committing suicide? (you can answer no and I will post that response too)

2. What led you to consider suicide?

3. What caused you to not commit suicide?

4. Do you have any advice for anyone thinking about committing suicide?

1. Yes (pills and cutting)

2. I felt like nothing was ever going to be better in my life. I felt like all the pain just would stop and that there was no point to it any more. I was being harassed and everything in my life was really just in a down ward spiral.

3. I failed. But later, my friends and God (you don't have to post this part) showed me that there is so much to live for.

4. It just isn't worth it. It's a permanant solution to a temporary problem that really can be helped. Just don't make hasty decisions. You are worth it. You really are.

Thanks for ding this survey I think it's great

1. Have you ever seriously considered committing suicide? (you can answer no and I will post that response too)

Yes.

Loneliness - being perpetually frozen at social absolute zero.

Fear of death.

No comment.

1. Have you ever seriously considered committing suicide?

Yes, overdose.

Loneliness, failure, anxiety, fear.

I was shocked when I discovered I had taken the wrong pills. The thought of a painful death because of liver damage made me understand that I was trying to escape from pain, instead of trying to understand why the pain was there. Also, killing myself would have caused much more suffering to my family than the suffering I was living.

Stop, breathe, relax and re-think. Think of a different life. A life adjusted to your current capabilities and objectives. If something is wrong try to correct it, but take your time. What is the rush? Discover your own rhythm.

Sometimes i think we become suicidal because we are bored and have too much time on our hands. Sometimes I think we are a society of spoilt brats. I bet terminally ill and third world nation people would give their right arm to spend one more day on this planet

HMmm....i don't think being bored makes one suicidal. Most people commit suicide because they have been hurt in relationships (or lack of relationships). Or they commit suicide because they feel they will disappoint people. But it is true that people commit suicide because they have too much time of their hands, because when they have nothing to do they spent lots of time feeling sorry for themselves.

Sometimes i think we become suicidal because we are bored and have too much time on our hands. Sometimes I think we are a society of spoilt brats. I bet terminally ill and third world nation people would give their right arm to spend one more day on this planet

I think people commit suicide because they don't have an appreciation for life or lose 'faith' in life, so if you can somehow restore that faith, you may be okay. Okay, the external reason may be attributed to breaking up from a relationship or some sort of 'hurt', but did people actually commit suicide when we lived in older, more subsistent societies, where everyday was dedicated to 'surviving'? I doubt it.

I didn't mean to sound harsh when i said i think we are a nation of 'spoilt brats', i was more alluding to the fact that modern society does not provide us with enough opportunities to exercise our primal instincts, that are so central to our experience of being human (like, for example, we don't need to 'hunt and gather' for food anymore, we just go to the supermarket), so we turn in on ourselves too much and focus on the emotional content in our lives.

It would be interesting to do a study comparing suicide rates from our societies and third world countries. Also, to do a study on suicide rates between modern society and older, more subsistent/traditional societies, such as those our ancestors experienced. I would say that suicide rates have definitely increased since society has become more modernised. Why? Because we are losing touch with nature. The advent of technology and expedience, in my opinion, is causing society to become more and more dehumanising. I think it is the alienation that drives people to suicide. It's a horrible situation to be in really. Horrible.

Have you read Suicide by Emile Durkheim? You may find it interesting.

1. Have you ever seriously considered committing suicide? YES

2. What led you to consider suicide? I know it might sound stupid but i'm not really sure.

3. What caused you to not commit suicide? I don't want to disapoint or hurt people and i don't want them to think its their faults.

Yeah its a permenit soulution to some temperary problems. You may think the pain will go away but it just gets passed on to your family and friends the people you love and who love you.

1. Have you ever seriously considered committing suicide? Yes.

2. What led you to consider suicide? My depression, I guess. Though I'm not really sure why I suffer from depression. The feelings I have for the world and everything in it, or actually the lack of feelings.

3. What caused you to not commit suicide? The fact that maybe I do want something more, and that I'm so young, and there may be things I will miss. My parents, they would feel like the didn't do enough to help me. My grandparents, they have noticed how I no longer attend church, and would spend the rest of their lives worrying about me burning in hell. My other grandparents, they already lost a daughter to cancer, so I am sort of a replacement, I couldn't hurt them like that. My old best friend Alicia, it would put a stain on her life. My siblings...the list just goes on and on....all the people that would be hurt.

4. Do you have any advice for anyone thinking about committing suicide? If you are wanting to do it, spend a lot of time thinking about it. You only get one chance, and almost always there are people that are going to be hurt. You never know what you might miss. You don't know if death will be a relief or not, it could...

Empty

• 2 weeks later...

During one period I did want to commit suicide. I was in so much pain. I would cry every day. I was so hurt.

I don't know. I was just in so much pain. It was the only thing I could think of.

I wanted to shoot some people in my school and commit suicide. But I thought I would go to hell if I did that, so I was deterred.

Seek true friends who will be there for you all the time. Friends who are loyal and who will give themselves up for you.

During one period I did want to commit suicide. I was in so much pain. I would cry every day. I was so hurt.

I don't know. I was just in so much pain. It was the only thing I could think of.

I wanted to shoot some people in my school and commit suicide. But I thought I would go to hell if I did that, so I was deterred.

Seek true friends who will be there for you all the time. Friends who are loyal and who will give themselves up for you.

yes, please, do not kill yourself and certainly don't shoot anyone else. help is out there, and we're certainly here for you. welcome! please check out this site as well

link removed

take care

Yes, Ive considered many times, and i still do, i sometimes lie awake for a long while just thinking about it..

Depression, Loneliness, Hatred of myself for what i am and for what i do, the feeling that i hurt others more than i cause them good.

Mainly my parents, i've always really cared more about others than myself, i self harm every so often, and do harmful things, (its one way of coping..), but i could never hurt someone else.. and thats why the knowledge of how much me killing myself would hurt my parents has prevented me from actually carrying it through, also the reason they dont know of my self harming, they are wonderful people, and the last thing i want to do is hurt them in any way or form

Either try to find a way to cope with the pain you feel, or commit suicide. As much as others tell you that there is a way to cope, everything is going to get better, they dont really know you trully. We are all different, and very few of us fully open up our feelings, its not always a bad thing, but it means that you have to look in yourself for answers. Do what your mind tells you, you are the only one who really knows you.

1. Yes I have considered committing suicide.

2. Loneliness but more meaninglessness of life. I thought that living was a choice and i did not wanted to.

3. Well, I feared, and sometimes I thought of my brother who was very little then. I thought I could not do this to him. Also, my boyfriend had had committed suicide, I did not want people to think that I died because of him.

4. I HAVE BEEN TO THE DEEPEST DEPRESSIONS, I HAVE SENT MY LOVE TO DEATH, BUT I AM SURE THAT THERE IS A REASON THAT ONE-ANYONE-HAS COME TO THE EARTH. HAVE FAITH IN YOURSELF AND PLEASE SEEK HELP.

Yes

Lonlyness, not feeling loved, feeling as tho i can never do anything (or bein told i could do nothing right)

Realizing that there was ONE person that acctully cared

Try to hold off for a little while to see if you can find at least one person who cares and can helps you! ive tryed suicide a alot of times until i found that one special perosn who cares about me and now i dotn think about it as much

1. Have you ever seriously considered committing suicide? Yes (cutting and overdosing)

2. What led you to consider suicide? Lack of self esteem and respect, severe depression, bullying, family/work/college problems, friends turning their back on me.

3. What caused you to not commit suicide? I failed. I don't want my brother to find me bleeding to death on the floor again as he is the most important person to me.

4. Do you have any advice for anyone thinking about committing suicide? Think again if you think it won't hurt other people. Do you really want to force your pain on someone else? I've been there, I've tried it and it does not help! Don't be selfish think about other people before you act. Remove yourself from the situation at all costs and start a new life.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, a number of times in my life, but especially recently.

The failure of love. I've suffered for years with unrequited love. And at various times felt so low, feeling that I would never know love, sex or intimacy.

But, now, my first relationship ever ended in December, and it totally destroyed my confidence and faith that I will find love again.

And love is my raison d'etre - without love, I feel life has no meaning. I'm scared of how long it might be, and if I would ever find anyone again.

I don't know. I think there is a glimmer inside me that somehow holds out hope even in the darkest times. I've come pretty damn close though.

I am a spiritual person, and perhaps part of my soul somehow prevented me from carrying through the act. I do know that a lot of people aren't spiritual, and they might have no hope to cling to whatsoever.

Talk to someone. Anyone. Most importantly, remember it's not your fault. You haven't done anything wrong.

yes.

I felt like no one cared about me living anymore and there was no point in living. there was no love in my life. ialways felt alone and liek no one would een notice if i was alive or dead. i was sexually abused, my parents are divorced and i felt like i have the worst life ever.

i realized how completely wrong i was. it turned out, i had shut my mind out from seeing all the good in my life... i had a family, friends, and many people that i could help by sharing my experiences with. i realized that all the pain i felt would be nothing compared to all the pain my parents, friends, and everyone else who knows me would feel if i was gone. my life would be over buttheywould forever live with pain that i could prevent just by talking throghmy problems and opening ym eyes to all i had.

I know if this is what you are considering you feel immense pain right now but there are so many epople who love and care for you that could not stant to not se you. i know you dont believe me but open your eyes and look in the mirrow at the goreous person staring back at you. pills, guns, and razors are not a solution to your problems. there r so many people out in the world just like you. u r not alone. everyday is a new day o stop thinking about everything negative in ur life and trying 2 fiz ur past... IMPROVE your future. you are a great person with potention so save your life. you ae the only one who knows how you truly feel right now.. start by changing that. go see a therapist, talk 2 a friend, family ember, teacher, anyone just talk... i know you dont beleve me but i promise it will help just open up. i didnt have anyone i mylife to say they loved me or had a reason to live but i am here to tell you, stranger, you are not alone.. and there are people to help you.. go find them... happier days are to come.

all my love,

lexi

1.yes

2.being lonely and just never really having good friends to be there for me,having girl problems and family probs.

3.I got scared and went to the hospital to treat the 25 pills that i have taken,scared of death

4.dont do it even if u are in true pain.You wont ever have a chance to be alive again thats the end.

1. Yes, and it was a scarey experience.

2. Hopelessness and a feeling that no one cared about me or understood me. Also, wondering, "what's the point? You live then you die, so i might as well have some control over it".

3. Fear of death, fear of the unkown. And this board ironically enough. Some people here instilled the fact that there might be some hope in my life. Thank you.

4. I find it hard to give other people advice as i believe that everybody's life is their choice. If they want to end their own life, then who am i to say "stop"? In all reality, and theory aside, if it was a friend of mine i would convince them that there was something to live for. Ie, friends, and that things can not be that bad.

Yes; and one failed attempt (pills) when I was in 9th grade.

The time in 9th grade I had tried to OD on little blue pills I had found in my father's medicine cabinet. It was due to the pressure of school and being a teachers' kid - high grades EXPECTED; long story but a teacher gave me a "C" and it was unacceptable...

But most recently was due to a failed relationship with a sociopath who had literally broke down my mental strength. I wanted to die!!! My self-esteem was so low; he had been abusive; I was afraid that at any moment I would lose it; I felt unstable and scared of these feelings... like any little thing would send me over the edge.

I can only describe it as God interveaned. I was driving home to visit my family, I had alerted them on how I was feeling, that I just wanted to die... As I was driving down the road, hoping that a semi or any other vehicle would cross the median and end my pain; tears streaming down my face, I desperately asked God if there was ANY reason I should stay... and at that EXACT MOMENT my cell phone rang, and it was the United Blood Foundation, in desperate need of my blood type and begged me to donate. I can not describe the awe that I experienced. I asked for an answer and I got one. From that point on, I KNEW I was supposed to stick around and every time I heard a song that I loved, I thought to myself, wow, I'd miss hearing that song if I weren't here or every time I saw a gorgeous landscape I appreciated it for it's beauty and knew there are plenty of reasons to be thankful for being alive. I went on to donate blood and have continued to do so...

Don't do it... Even if things feel like they couldn't possibly get any worse or any better - they can and DO... why not stay around and FIGHT to PROVE to yourself you CAN DO IT, you can make it through!!! Life has a funny way of figuring itself out... trust me - DO NOT GIVE UP!!! Remember, what doesn't kill you makes you STRONGER!!!

1. yes- swallowed hydrogen peroxide from the medicine cabinet over christmas break

2. what led me to it? living in a crappy basement apt., my drunken father who doesnt hide his marijuana well enough, my grandfather molesting my cousin and completely tearing the family apart, mother and her perscription pills- not noticing, even when i steat her cigarettes, and no money or chance for college.

3. why i backed out- as much as i hate the people in my life, i hated them more after i imagined their reaction- i knew i wouldnt like the way they would handle it. i didnt really wait long enough for anything to happen- i just made myself throw it up right away.

4. advice? none- sorry, i havent heard anything uber convincing yet- and have nothign to give.

i havent tried since then, but i do cut now- im almost ashamed to admit that for a minute, it does calm me down.

nice survey, btw

Yes

my best friend died, had finished with boyfriend at time, had a row with my day and my cousin.

just felt like all the people i loved didnt love me anymore

i tried, but failed, came around in intensive care the day after.

4. Do you have any advice for anyone thinking about committing suicide

dont do it, its non reversable, i am happy it didnt work as i would have missed out on so much ie my beautiful little neice who i love to bits.

i also saw how much attempting it affected my dad in particular . i would never do tis to him again