Input from anyone who's Dated 'Friends'.

SooSad33

I am curious from those who have dated Friends. ( Not just for benefits).

-Did they ever work out for you?

-Or was is all in the timing?

-Did you find it was any more of a benefit ( did it help), that 'you already knew them'? Or do you feel

that doesn't matter or make a difference?

Just wanting to know... I'm curious about this. Weighing the odds.

I will admit, a few years ago I did date a friend but it ended after 2 months because he was a rebound for me Sadly, our friendship has never been the same since.

I knew my bf for 6 years as friends/acquaintences before we started dating 5 years ago.

It only made a difference in that we had a base to start from --- changing from friendship to a relationship still had all the same hurdles, as they are two

very distinct types of relationships.

The thing about dating someone who's already been in your life for years as a friend is that it can be more difficult to distinguish between the friendship and the romantic relationship - and sometimes it's difficult to set those boundaries that most relationships need, that weren't there before.

I've seen it work of course, and the way it did was when they were able to seamlessly transition. It has it's own benefits of course like knowing the other person on a deep level prior to the relationship -as opposed to people learning about each other as time passes during a romantic relationship.

It really just depends, there's no guarantee just as with someone who hasn't been a long term friend. I think if people start a relationship with a friend they have to have the realistic expectation that things won't just be the same PLUS romance and sex, and that things won't just fall into place. It takes the same kind of dedication and hard work that other relationships require.

I dated a friend I had for years before and we couldn't get past seeing each other as friends, or at least I couldn't, rather. He fell in love with me and I gave the romance a shot because I was attracted to him - but now, our 7 year friendship is over because I broke his heart leaving him.

I will admit, a few years ago I did date a friend but it ended after 2 months because he was a rebound for me Sadly, our friendship has never been the same since.

It's basically this.

If the relationship "works out" (e.g. lasts and marriage is in the cards) it's wonderful because you have this great foundation of trust and mutual respect. But if it doesn't work out, you can never really get the friendship back.

I dated a friend who wasn't a close friend. And we're happily married with a kid.

But if you you're besties, or have a zillion common friends that you'd never be able to escape seeing them, you need to really think about it. But if you have the hots for eachother, you're probably not good friends - so yeah, get it on!

I will say, having someone who started out as friends, with similar mindsets and interests does make our relationship pretty easy in many many aspects.

Archived