Getting rid of a tan

MyNinja

My job requires me to work outdoors from 7am to 4 pm. I'm in a booth most of the time but have to step out a lot to help customers. I started this job at the start of the new year and at first I didn't use any sunscreen or any sort of sun protecting measures as I just didn't think about it at the time. After a week of working I one day noticed that my hands and face were significantly tanned. I wear a uniform and most of my body is covered except my face and hands.

I have a medium-light toned skin complexion with more of the high yellow undertone and my hands and face were at least two to three shades darker than the rest of my body and is more noticeable on my hands with a harsh tan line. My face has returned its original color but not my hands so much. It's really weird to look at and I don't like the uneven skin tone.

I've been using a high SPF broad spectrum (UVA/UVB protection) sunscreen since and I was wondering if my skin tone will return to normal with me using the sunscreen despite the fact that I still work outside. Will the constant exposure still keep these body parts tanned or will the skin tone be able to return to normal with proper use of the sunscreen?

Ive been exfoliating and using lemon juice to speed up the process to lighten my skin back to its regular tone. I see a slight improvement, but it still a noticeable tan line on my hands right at the wrist. Thanks for your help

There are skin lightening creams and products on the market but depending on where you're from, I'm not sure if you'll easily find them. I live in the Middle East so there's a huge market for it.

Here's one of them on Amazon (.co.uk) so it's accessible to purchase link removed. However, you can look for creams or lotions with "skin lightening" on the front so you know it has that effect.

You need to use the highest levels to prevent a tan (i.e., SPF 30 or even 50). Lower levels really won't stop a tan, more keep you from burning. If you use the very high levels, your current tan will eventually fade.

Try looking for sunscreens they make specifically for babies... those are very strong and meant to block the sun.

The other trick is you have to reapply several times during the day since the sunscreen can wear off/be washed off/sweat off. the bottles usually tell you how often you need to apply, but you should probably do it ever few hours, and if you wash your hands or put them in water, you'll need to do it after you get them wet. That could be why your hands are still tanning, if you get them wet but don't get your face wet.

I went on a trip to China last year, and I was surprised to find that many women there have parasols. Literal parasols that are UV rated, like a rain umbrella but are black on the inside. They also wear gloves to keep the sun off. Your skin will fade in time, so long as you stay out of the sun. But, if you can't, then you need to cover up or wear high UV sunscreen and apply it often during the day. If you have a job that would allow you to wear gloves, you might try that. Ladies cloth gloves, which you might find at the accessories department in a large store.

Thank you all! Yes, I use a high SPF 110+ and one formulated for the face (so I don't break out). I've been noticing that the tan has faded somewhat and it hasn't gotten worse since I've been using it and and reapplying every two hours as directed. So I think it's working. I try to stay in the booth as much as I can when not helping anyone. Get this. I live in Southern California and it was in the 80's during the Christmas season and for part of January. I seriously don't get how anyone can like summer-like weather year around. I hate it here, lol and I'm planning on moving up north.

Archived