So lately, I've been feeling just unbelievably strong depression. I feel like I'm going to cry at any moment, even now. I'm pretty sure that if I had access to a gun in my house, I may not be writing this today. I don't know what it could be connected with. I just moved in August to a new state, so I could be homesick, I could be lonely (no friends and more importantly, no girlfriend), I just don't know what. I've had shrinks in the past, but mostly it was just for my uncontrollable rage I had then. (I guess they fixed me...)

So would a shrink and some meds make me happier? I really am sad, and I want to be happy. Especially for Christmas.

What's everyone experiences with psychologists and meds? Good, bad, not a difference? Please, I need some help before I really hurt myself, which I'm afraid I will if I keep on going like this.

So would a shrink and some meds make me happier?

first thing...a "shrink" and meds can't do anything to MAKE you happier...only you can do that...seeing a psych and getting on medications are just tools to use to help you bring yourself to a better place mentally.

they help you fix yourself...if it has helped you in the past then by all means, go talk to someone.

you probably started out with a case of the homesickness blues...but you didn't deal with it and it's taken a turn for the worse. At any time, when you even fleetingly consider suicide...you need to take it seriously...that is your mind calling for help...

first thing...a "shrink" and meds can't do anything to MAKE you happier...only you can do that...seeing a psych and getting on medications are just tools to use to help you bring yourself to a better place mentally.

Exactly. It's up to you to get better. Professional help and medications are only to assist you in getting better. It's ultimately up to you. I've made an appointment with my doctor for Monday to start on my long road to becoming a better person. I know it won't be easy, but it'll be worth it.

Yes I can relate to your feeling of depression here at holiday time.It was a year ago this week that I lost my best friend I cried all day on Thanksgiving.We have to learn to deal with things in life as we are always going to have bad times.I think what you need to do is make some friends.Friends are one of the most important things in life.I didn't really think about it till I lost mine.Do you keep in contact with your old friends.You should call them,sit down and write letters to them,e-mail themTalk to them,tell them you problems.And most of all go and find some new ones.And you stop those ideas of hurting yourself.That wouldn't solve a thing.Let people help you ,you are important.

Yeah, friends are really important too. I've been struggling with depression for quite along time along with social anxiety. If it wasn't for a friend and all around wonderful person at my workplace I don't think I would be seeking out professional help right now. My friend and I have talked about our depression problems and she's been really supportive.

yeah that's great that you want to get help. that's incredibly mature of you, man. i definitely think meds and someone to talk to can do wonders. you're so young, please don't think about suicide. i know life hurts sometimes, i've been there. but i promise it's not worth suicide. death is so permanent and you've got so much to live for, even if you can't see it at the moment. if you ever want to talk, contact me. check these websites out please..take care

link removed

link removed

or call

1-800-suicide

you can do it and we're all here for you

Well I did have a friend here for a while that I'd talk with about depression, but she never gave me any supportive talks. She's younger then I am, by a couple years, so the maturity gap is kinda big. She's log off AIM by saying something like "I'll see you tomorrow, if I live that long..." and it got me even more depressed. So we don't talk all that often because she actually made me worse. I have a couple friends here that I could develop more though.

Anyways, today I asked my dad if I could go see some help, and he said that I probably could, but it would take a while to get in. So I'll just have to wait until it's time.

And don't worry about the suicidal thoughts. I'm far too wimpish to ever hurt myself on purpose.