How much of the past is important?

jenuine17

Recently started dating someone new. He had been in a 5 year relationship prior to me(A). Before that he divorced his ex wife. I came accross a journal and his ex wife(B) talks about his ex gf©. Apparently he also lived with her. Yesterday we were having a good conversation and being that I already know about this "C" he acted he didn't remember her name. Should I keep asking? Now I'm curious. Why wouldn't he tell me. How much of the past is important to learn about in a new relationship? I know it's the past but it still says a lot of the person and who they are today?

Agree, the past is the past. It has nothing to do with your relationship. I try to talk about the past as little as possible.

Why do you want to know about his past relationships? I wouldn't. I just like to make sure they are now completely over in their hearts since I was a rebound, so i asked the guy I'm seeing when his last serious relationship was. But nothing specific. I wanted to make sure he wasn't pining away for anyone like my ex is.

He probably doesn't want to drag up an aspect of his past which was a long time ago, ceased to be important a long time ago and may or may not have ended badly.

This all happened a long time before you two were together. It's not really your concern. And you certainly shouldn't be reading his journal! (Unless it's with his permission, of course!).

Actually I'm going to go against the grain.

How many of us have thought "If only I'd had a convo with my partners exes I would've known to cut my losses and run"....lol

I personally think that's not a good way of approaching a conversation about exes. It's kind of a "gotcha" where you are looking for ammo to use against him.

Archived