How does one even go about finding a therapist?

MattW

I'm still trying to convince myself to follow through with it, but I haven't quite gotten there yet. In the meantime, I'm just trying to find someone to actually go to, if/ when I can finally push myself. Kinda having a tough time of it, though. I've tried typing in "therapist"/ "psychologist" and my city into Google, and it seems like so many are either kinda far away, or I just can't tell whether they're "good"/ legit or not.

Many of the websites I pull up in my results look so... amateurish, that I question how much I can trust that this person is good for the job. I mean, no offense, but if you're a "professional", and you have a website that looks like something I could throw together in an afternoon, that's going to make me feel pretty iffy.

So I dunno, I'm just trying to look around and see what's out there, but I feel like maybe my method for finding someone isn't exactly the best one?

Hm. And if you don't have a primary care doctor, and haven't had the need to look up medical professionals in the past...? Honestly, I don't think I've even been to a doctor since I was a kid. @_@ I'm not even sure how insurance actually works, or what insurance I even have. Man, do I feel stupid right now.

If you will drive 20 minutes to go to a bar, you can drive 30 minutes to heal your heart/mind.

Make it a priority.

If I could rep you I would. Yes, people will drive an hour and a half to a bar but they won't drive around the corner to help themselves half the time.

If you don't have a primary care physician then you better find one. Go to your employer and find out if you're paying for any kind of insurance. If not get on an insurance plan and find a dr.

My primary care physician has therapists on staff.

I would start with a referral from your primary care physician.

Do you have a job? A full time job? Then you most likely have health insurance through an employer.

If you have no insurance, you may still be covered under your parents, until age 25. However, that is not a given --- you need to check with them.

Hm. And if you don't have a primary care doctor, and haven't had the need to look up medical professionals in the past...? Honestly, I don't think I've even been to a doctor since I was a kid. @_@ I'm not even sure how insurance actually works, or what insurance I even have. Man, do I feel stupid right now.

Time so start being a grown up then. Figure this one out on your own so next time you're faced with a similar situation you will be able to handle it on your own. It will help build your confidence.

I have a part time job, and I believe I signed up for medical benefits (though I signed up a long time ago, and it always auto-renews for me, so I don't know much about it), but still not really sure how it all works.

Edit: Yeah, looks like I have a part time medical plan. Still not really sure what, exactly, that means, or anything, though.

I have a part time job, and I believe I signed up for medical benefits (though I signed up a long time ago, and it always auto-renews for me, so I don't know much about it), but still not really sure how it all works.

Edit: Yeah, looks like I have a part time medical plan. Still not really sure what, exactly, that means, or anything, though.

There should be a document that tells you want to covered, or a phone number to call, something.

I asked my doctor as well as my insurance company, and ended up going with someone he insurance company approved. They have lists, and you just tell them what kind of therapist you are seeking and they will help you find it. Good luck. A good one is worth it, I've been to several and this one I'm happy with, the others weren't my cup of tea.

Archived