Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Alaska??? Sobriety??

DaniArizona

So, I've been dealing with drug addiction and alcoholism, pretty much since I was 15, but just this past year have a realized it was an actual problem. This past June I quit popping pills, which was the worst part of my drug addictions, I also quit drinking (alcohol is my biggest demon)....The no drinking lasted three weeks and then I was right back to it, just as bad, if not worse, as before. I haven't gone back to pills, but every night I have a reason to get black out drunk. I realize that with the company I keep and the easy accessibility to all things bad here, it's almost impossible to maintain a sober lifestyle in my small hometown. So I've made the decision to move to Alaska. I've never been there. I only know one person there. It's my best friend. I'd be living with her, her husband, and their two kids....and sharing a room with their 8 year old daughter....NOT ideal....at all....but I feel like it'll be the best choice for my sobriety. Opinions?

Don't do it. Alaska has one of the highest alcoholism rates in the USA

I was thinking the same thing. Also, a high suicide rate due to the lack of sun during certain times of the year. No matter where you move to you will always have the opportunity to use, so really no need to go anywhere else unless there are no treatment centers where you currently live. chi

Ditto the other two responses- stay where you are and find a rehab program to help you through this.

My friend who has been clean and sober for 8 years told me that the most important thing is to sever your friendships with people who use and surround yourself with clean and sober friends. He told his old friends that he still cares about them but that since they are still using then he has to give up his friendship with them so he could get sober. And he stuck with it.

Good job getting away from the pills! Now onto the next step. Good luck and good health to you.

Archived