Dating a friend of a friend

I'll make this short and sweet.

My good guy friend who I've known for 5+ years recently moved away to California for a dream job. Couldn't be happier for him. He's a good guy and would do anything to help someone out. He and I went to college and lived together briefly before I moved to GA. I have since moved back to TX and he, as I mentioned, is in CA now.

He has a female friend which I had met through him and we've all hung out a few times.

She and I started talking on FB about a year ago, simple chatting, light flirting, stuff like that. Since I've moved back, we've started hanging out, going out for drinks, dinner, movies, all of that intro-dating stuff.

I like her, and I'm pretty sure she likes me (she was the one that reached out to me first for us to hang out), and I am curious to see where this might go...but at the end of the day, she's my good friend's friend. Am I venturing into dangerous territory?

On one hand, they were just casual friends from what she tells me, and he's in a different state now...and on the other hand, he's my good friend.

I'd hate for things to end up blowing up in my face (happens all the time) and then I lose two friends in the process.

I'm not saying I see a huge future with this girl (we've only just started "seeing" each other), but she is someone I'd like to spend more time with. Plus I'm still getting to know her, which is part of the fun.

We haven't kissed or anything, just hugged, but I'm going to be making dinner for her this weekend and I'm thinking that might be the perfect chance to "take that step".

Am I breaking friend code? Should I just drop it right now? Should I say anything to him? Should I talk to her about it more before going forward?

As a side note, I'd just like to say that as a guy in his early 30's who is finally back "home".....I really don't want to repeat the same mistakes I made when I was in my 20's. I've lost a lot of friends and have made a lot of wrong decisions in my life... I really don't want to go down that road anymore. I want my time here in TX (the second time around) to be positive and happy.

I like this girl, and I could see her and I having some great adventures, but I need to do this the right way.

Thanks for reading

I'd say I'm 90% sure they were purely friends, but I can't confirm it. From everything she's told me since we've been talking, they were just friends.

If you speak to your bud often, then I would let him know whats going on. Would be kind of childish of him to end the friendship simply because you were interested in his girl pal back in Texas.

Archived