Remaining in contact with the family?

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but has anyone remained in contact with the ex's family members after breaking up? Does it hinder the healing process in any way? I'm still good friends with my ex's sister and we've been hanging out a lot since the BU. I really enjoy spending time with her and she's someone that I would be friends with even if I hadn't dated her brother. Could use some perspective on others who have gone through similar situations.

If you were friends with the sister before you met your boyfriend, then I would say a cooling off period is needed and later see if a natural friendship remains. If you have only gotten close with the sister after the breakup, I would say that you need to lay off on her. She could be feeding him information about your mood and feelings and unintentionally spying on you for him. And it might hinder your growth hanging on to that part of your life. Honestly, I would talk to her about it and stop hanging out with her. If you naturally run into eachother and strike up a friendship after healing has taken place - maybe - but maybe by that time there will be less of an urge to be friends.

Archived