Depression Is So Damaging! HELP

vv15629

Me and GF of 2yrs are really in a rough patch in recent times. Were both 27 and lived together for the past year. She’s had a very unstable upbringing from her family and tumultuous relationship w/ an ex BF of 9yrs. So certainly not the greatest foundation for emotional success. She has what to be expected, insecurity, paranoid/negative outlook, anxiety, and trust issues. However, she is an amazingly kind and genuine woman. She loves me more than I’ve ever been and would do absolutely anything for me. She’s loyal and trust worthy. I don’t want to make it sound like she’s a Jerry Springer nut case because that isn’t so. But in a close intimate relationship like ours her issues certainly cause major strains! She been off and on with therapy for many years and went to a psychologist back in high school and they say she was manic depressive I believe. Her current therapist (hasn’t seen him in about 6 months) last said she shows sign of bi polar disorder. She has taken anti-depressants for a while too.

Her continued lack of true trust in me and constant paranoia that some girl will always be after me has sparked my desire to end the relationship and I brought this too her. She began packing to move out but of course became such was a wreck, I mean just complete melt down!! It gave me such extreme anxiety I seriously couldn’t handle it, I told her to stop packing stay and we can talk about how we could go about this. I feel like I almost need to see a therapist now  I know relationships/marriage are possible with these types of people but they take tremendous dedication , patience, and counseling. I just don’t know if I’m cut out and willing. She’s not in denial what so ever, she’s fully accepting of her issues and hates that she is this way. She knows the damage is causes. She now plans to see a physiologist to get another diagnosis and see what can be done. I just feel so incredibly horrible b/c I do love her and could not handle her completely hitting rock bottom without me. This is the hardest thing I’ve ever faced in my life and just don’t know if I’m ready for this lifelong commitment and battle!

Do you want to be with her. Truly?

If you do, you could suggest you go to relationship counselling together and that she go counselling as much as possible herself, and if her current medication isn't helping then she needs to speak to her doctor and see what else can be tried. If she is activley seeking help that is all she can do.

If you do not like this part of her, and sadly it does seem to be part of her, then I don't see it working out unless you are willing to stand by why she keeps getting help.

Archived