Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Confessions of a "Crazy Cat Lady"

Silverbirch

I doubt that I will end up with lots of cats - mostly because I live in region where cats are now not welcome due to their destruction of wildlife. However, I can see the real possibility that I will spend my later years as a type of emotional recluse.

I was speaking with a long-time bestie last night on MSN. She and I have helped each other through several breakups. I have known her through 2 broken engagements. She has also been there for me through 2 major long-term breakups. She's a wonderful person and we've often joked that it's a pity we are not gay as we could be so happy together.

We hadn't spoken for a couple of weeks, and each of us has had news of our exes which we shared. Mine was not nearly so bad as hers. She was telling me of circumstances where she has found out that while she was supposedly engaged to her more recent ex, he was seeing another woman who he is now married to. He had managed to bleed a lot of money out of her before dumping her and leading her to believe that they might reconcile.

Also, through my work, I recently read some research papers of exploitation of people with disabilities, especially women who live in the community, who have had men move in with them in supposed defacto relationships. The men then went on to claim carers pensions, and abused and exploited the women in many ways, especially fiinanacially.

I am not currently in a situation where I am exploited like this. I am not even living with anyone, but when I hear about these things and look back at my own experiences, I feel jaded and cynical, and it becomes hard to trust - especially people of the opposite sex.

My friend and I are both women with a lot of love to give, and a lot of our love is given to the critters in our lives who we both feel give us so much more back than we can ever give them, especially our dogs.

I love waking up to the sounds of the birds. My housing is quite modest, though when it is sparkly clean, it is charming and welcoming. I have friends. I have a good life mostly. I live in the best area in the world and I can be as social or as reclusive as I want to be - apart from having to go to work.

I have a personal freedom I never had when I lived with men or was in unhealthy relationships. I can be my own person. It's a real gift. I think the term Crazy Cat Lady is quite misrepresentative about who and what some women really are. I know I will think of a better term, but I think I am evolving into what some people would consider as something like: "The Crazy Cat Woman and Her Other Furry Creatures".

Archived