Nurses and Carers - Anyone Worked in Palliative Care? Your Wisdom Please

Silverbirch

I''m thinking about making the switch from disability services to palliative care. I first thought several years ago that I would like to do this as the faith I have practised (not saying that I'm a great practitioner) does highly regard this and encourages those who are able to give a year of lives with this - not just to give to others, but for one's own spiritual development.

Some of my motives are selfish - I'm no goody-two-shoes.

Another motive for me has been that one of my clients, a relatively young woman who I have known for probably more than 10 years has recently had a shift with her care plan - and a palliative health care plan is being developed for her. It''s made me feel that I am ready and equipped, that I have the emotional maturity and professional skills to be able to deal with this and contribute in an adequate way.

Anyway, has anyone done this? We had something happen at work in relation to her which was initially upsetting for a lot of people, and we were informed by palliative care team that we would need debriefing, but I'm feeling okay.

Ideally, I would like to work in either a hospice or in community care or both.

Archived