Saving money on textbooks?

MattW

I'm at a point in college where I can no longer get a grant to cover my tuition and book expenses, so I have to start paying these things myself. I'm trying to find the cheapest way to get my textbooks as possible, because, well, they cost an arm and a leg otherwise. I figured maybe I could start renting them (since I don't need them once the semesters end, anyway). I know Amazon has a rental service, and being that I'm a member of Amazon Prime, I figured that made the most sense. But it appears as though Amazon doesn't offer the textbooks I need, to rent...

Anyone know of any other cost-friendly alternatives?

Barnes and Noble also has a rental program so check into that one too. Shop for your books used and in e-book form also. Are you eligible for work study?

It might be time to find a part time job or take out a student loan as much as I hate to suggest loans.

I have a part time job, and they do offer a scholarship program, but I won't see any money from it until next spring. Truth be told, I have enough money to my name that I don't need to take out any loans, I just want to save as much money as I can, so I don't blow through it. Previously, I'd been buying my books new/ used, then reselling them after the semester ended, though I'd only make back a fraction of what I paid. I try to look into buying used as much as possible, too, but they still seem sort of pricey.

What I've done is either buy older books or similar books to what is on the reading list, this normally doesn't make a huge amount of difference, I've also gone to the library and took books out, not overly reliable though. I did borrow friends books and scan the relevent sections when I couldnt get books from the library or on the cheap though that to my belief is a breach of copyright.

Go to the library and use them there. I haven't bought a text book since first year of college. Graduated with an A. Don't think that the text book will not be available. There's a lot of lazy, wasteful students out there who will buy their own. haha.

Also I used link removed for books I would like to keep for later. If you work for a labto/research group on campus, ask to borrow it from them. The prof probably has a lot of books. Most will keep a library. Ask upper year friends, they will probably be happy to lend it to you, maybe even offer to take them out for coffee or over for dinner to return the favour.

There's alot of things you can do to save money on books. You can check the library for older versions of the same book and rent books if you know you'll only be using them for 1 semester. Also check out link removed or link removed for used books, try to buy brand new or very new condition books for a good deal, keep the books in really good condition, then resell them for about the same brand new or like new condition on those sites. You lose barely any money that way assuming they don't change to a newer textbook. Always check with teachers if a book is really needed or not. If it's the main textbook you should always try to buy it, but if its a 250 page book that only is used for 1 assignment you're better off borrowing that from a classmate or friend.

Archived