Getting Very Down About Ongoing Dispute With Phone Company

I'm sorry. I don't know if anyone can help with this and perhaps I'm mostly venting as I'm so worn down that I will probably just pay up - it's now to my amazement gone to debt collection.

Last year, I went to the telephone company who I had a mobile phone with for several years. All I wanted was a new charger for my phone as the old one no longer worked. I was told that the phone and parts were no longer manufactured as it outdated being all of around 3 years old. I was told that as my phone contact had expired, the cheapest thing for me to do would be to re-sign a contract and I would get a new phone. That phone company, which I had never had any major problems with had since merged with another phone company. I was assured that everything would be the same, in fact better if I upgraded my phone plan which I did..

I went from paying around $50 per month to $70 per month. To my amazement, I began, for the first time receiving bills of $200-$300 per month (on top of the $70 I was being direct debited each month). I contacted them, and they insisted that the charges were legitimate, that I was making excessive calls.

To cut a long story short, this continued, and after a couple of months, the phone company admitted that they were no longer able to provide a reasonable service to me as I live outside the metropolitan area, and their sattelite service switched me over to "internet". They agreed to release me from my contract. They told me they would send me a satchel in the mail, to put my phone in it and take it to the post office. I never received the satchel.

I was stunned 3 days before Xmas to find that they had direct debited $1700 from my bank account. I made phone calls about this (all of these were attended to by people in India - I live in Australia). After many calls, I was able to ascertain that they direct debited the money on account of me not returning my phone. Fortunately, as I became aware of that error very quickly, I was able to put a dishonorable stop on that debit - but I was distressed by that.

I went into their offices in the nearest city to where I live. I was told they could not help me - that all they did was sell phones. I continued to receive demands of payment from the phone company. They insisted that they had sent me 2 satchels to return the phone. I went back to the sales office and insisted that I leave my phone with them and that the sales manager provide me with a letter stating I had left it with them. They told me they would send the phone on. Months went by, then I got more phone calls and letters claiming I had not returned to phone.

I went back to the office, and they found the phone in their back room - said it was never sent back to their warehouse.

I was shocked when I continued to receveive bills from them. They claimed that there had been an account I hadn't paid the previous year which they hadn't factered into the previoius bill I had. I took the matter to the Ombudsman who communicate with them. I agreed to pay the money back to them - because I just wanted the whole thing to stop. I'd had enough. I organised a payment plan. I never received receipts from the company although I have kept my receipts from the post office where I paid them. I thought it was all paid off and rang them to ask. I got a message bank and my call was not returned. I thought the amount must be paid off.

Then recently, I got a letter from a debt collection agency claiming that I owe the phone company several hundred dollars. I explained the situation to the person at the debt collection agency, and I think that she was reasonable.

I am currently in the process of going through my receipts, and the debt collection agency advised me to go back to the Ombudsman. All this is taking me time, and my health has not been good. I'm also having to do difficult paid work, recently had an injury at work, and I feel quite close to breaking point.

I found out that last year 40% of complaints to the Ombudsman were with regard to this company who merged with my old phone company. They get a lot of bad press, and in more recent times, they have been many claims that they are selling personal information about their customers without consent. I have seen claims on the internet from other people claiming that they have been overcharged ridiculuous amounts - up to thousands of dollars.

The debt collection agency have told me that if I pay them $220 within another week or so, that they will wipe the debt. I am certain I don't owe this, but this is getting me down so badly. I have spent so much time and money on phone calls that even my bf who is VERY careful with money has strongly suggested that I just pay it as I have learnt valuable lessons from this.

Since this dispute, I switched over to a pre-paid service which has been fantastic. My phone calls usually only cost me $30 per month, sometimes less and I've gotten great service. I will never, ever sign my name on a phone contract again as long as I live.

BF and I are concerned at present about changes to the way electricity accounts will soon be calculated in this country. People will no longer be coming out and reading meters. It will all be done via satellite. A couple of years ago, I was overcharged by a gas company by several hundred dollars. I disputed that, and they sent a person out to read it again, and insisted they were correct. To my amazement, almost a year later, they detected that they had in fact made a mistake, and in that instance, my money was refunded to me. (I lived in an apartment above a bakery and they had confused the accounts).

I would greatly appreciate any positive replies I could get as I'm feeling very pulled down atm by money and job stability, etc.

Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. Having just ended an ongoing dispute with estate agents, I can really sympathise with how frustrated, angry and screwed over you must be feeling right now. There are a few things you could do: you could employ a solicitor to look into it for you. This could get more expensive than paying it off though. You could refuse to pay the money, ignore all letters etc. until they file a lawsuit against you. The advantage is that you'd have the chance in court to have your say and, if they really have been ripping you off (which it sounds like they have), you will probably win. The disadvantage is that if you don't, you could face an expensive trial. You could continue to fight it, contacting the Ombudsman etc. You could call the phone company and demand your records (under the Freedom of Information Act) and have a look to see exactly what they've charged you for and why.

It sounds as though you're at the end of your tether, and it's doing further damage to your health. In this case, I'd say pay it and be done with it. Walk away with burning anger, a lighter wallet and the experience behind you. Post your experience to the internet – as you have done – citing the name of the phone company. Warn people off. If you only warn one person off, who could pay $70 a month for their phone contract over the course of two years, you've screwed the company over more than you would have by refusing to pay. And the likelihood is, you'll warn more people off. I certainly wouldn't use the phone company you're talking about.

On the other hand, who's to say that if you do pay this final amount, they won't send you even more bills in the future? They haven't been honest so far, and they've given you no reason to believe that if you pay this, it'll be the end of it. They might dream up another bill next week.

It's unfair, and you probably feel like you've got no one to turn to. The problem with these sorts of things is the trapped feeling and the anger and resentment that builds. I suggest that you get in writing from the phone company/Ombudsman that this is the very final amount you're required to pay, and there will be no further bills. Once you have received that, pay it. If you receive anything else in the future, refuse to pay it and tell them you'll take them to the small claims court. That will only cost $30 and you can hash out the argument in front of a judge. We've all been screwed over by phone companies at some point, so the likelihood is you'll have a sympathetic judge.

I'm sorry I couldn't help you further. I just want to give you a hug What a ****ty situation to be in.

Good luck!

Lottie

Thank you so much. I so appreciate the support of both your posts. A little good news - I've managed to find some receipts, My paperwork is in quite a state of dissarray. I got sick in December, diagnosed with a treatable form of cancer, had a recurrence, most discomfort than pain and a nuisance, and I had to go straight back to work each time. My emotional state has been very up and down.

Yes - it is Vodaphone. However, one of their claims is that it is actually with Three. Three were the origiinal company I was with, but all the trouble started when they merged with Vodaphone. My understanding was that at that time, they made changes with the satellites, and I forget the actual terminology, but I recalll that I had very, very eratic service and used to have a word at the bottom of the phone - if you say it, I will know - but friends later told me that word meant it was operating via "internet satellite" which is much more expensive than the usual type of satellite and billing.

Anyway, it seems to me that they pluck these figures out of nowhere. In December, they claimed I owed them a little over $300, and yet after that date they were saying I owed them a lot more. I am able to prove now that I switched phone companies on the 2nd December. My last bill from the first company was for services up to 6th December which was to be direct debited. This was around the day I was in hospital. I am about to try and see if I can find my bank statements from that date to see if it in fact was direct debited. I have receipts for $240 and I'm quite certain there was another which I can't seem to find (this would have been for $61).

With the amount involved, I don't think it is worth going to a solicitor.

I'll post here again after I have gone through my bank statements, and also will ring the lady at the debt collection agency tomorrow.

I'm wondering if I am starting to feel paranoid though with these allegations on the net that strongly suggest the phone company has sold personal details of the customers - some of it resulting in identity fraud is a real worry I think.

Yes, I regret very much that I didn't put anything in writing, but I do have my resolution number from the Ombudsman. Let's hope that I can work out something reasonable with the people from the debt collection agency.

I feel much better hearing that most of not all of us, at some time do get screwed over by some business or other. If I can just get out of this even

Little Star, do you know of other people in a similar predicament with Three/Vodaphone and are they the same types of probs I have had. I kick myself so hard for ever being in a phone contract rather than just prepaid. Do you recall a couple of years ago, a phone company called One-Tel which James Packer became involved with. The other guy (Rodney somebody) who was involved in founding it went to Jail over fraudulent practices of the company. Had James Packer not been one of the wealthiest men in the world and had the best legal counsel as well, he may have ended up in jail with him. I know Telstra and Optus have lots of complaints made against them, but I still think they are safer in general to deal with than these other companies.

I couldn't get through to the Ombudsmans Office this morning and was put on hold. I rang the debt collection agency. They told me if I pay $220 before 14.8.12, they will send me a letter stating that the account is closed. Do you think I can trust this? I just want to be rid of this. I can pay the amount through the major bank - I no longer wish to use credit cards or online banking unless I absolutely have to.

Funny thing happened today. I went to the general store today and asked the owner if I could put up a notice directing people to a website I am thinking of creating - asking local people if they have had problems with mobile phone accounts - especially over-charging and inadequate coverage. Before I could say anything more, he told me of his own experience with the same company I had. Also, he had his account with Three - no problems for years - then as soon as they merged with Vodafone - he received accounts - for THOUSANDS of dollars. He said that he persisted and got them to waiver the account, and told me I should have persisted. I'd say he is a cluey businessman with the gift of the gab because nothing I said mattered, and it went to the debt collectors. He told me that he knows it has been a big problem for a lot of local people, mostly because we have inadequate network coverage in the region.

Still, I'm giving genuine thoughts to making contact with other locals who have had the same issues and then think more about possible actions.

OMG!!!! Tonight I found out incidentally through continued googling that there is a website outlining the investigative stages of Legal Class Action against the company in question, and that 20,000 people have so far expressed an interest in joining the class action. People in the action group will not only be seeking compensation plus interest for bills paid, but will seek compensation for any financial losses incurred due to the poor service, and I would most certainly quality for this.

I have begun constructing my own website at one of those free websites to make contact with other locals who may have had the same issues, but my connection is very slow right now and I can't go back to edit it.

The class action site recommends going back and making contact with the phone company so I will ring them tomorrow - hopefully I will have the website completed which I can link them to, and tell them that if they don't refund me all of the money I have paid that I will apply to join the class action group and also canvas my local community bringing their awareness to the matter. I will also ring the debt collection agency and discuss as I will likely need to pay them to stop the threats against my credit rating. When I had spoken to them previously, they told me that my "debt" which was passed onto them is separate to any grievance I have with the phone company.

I would like to post the link, but I think it would breach the terms of this site as it is political. If anyone is interested though, you could google Class Action and the name of the phone company mentioned.

Archived