Update to my other thread re: getting rid of my cat who pees everywhere..

Kalika

Hi ENA,

Just thought I would update you all on my last post in case anyone else has this issue .. I previously posted, questioning whether I should adopt out my male cat that had issues with peeing all over the place. I have a male and female cat and keep their litter boxes in the basement.

I did a big no no and let my normally indoor cat outside (he is declawed also). We felt this was the best option as opposed to locking them BOTH up in the basement all day and night with food/water/litter boxes. I especially felt bad at the thought of doing this to my female cat, who has done nothing wrong. My male cat actually took to it like a pro and really enjoyed being outside, which allowed us to leave my female cat to wander in the house as she pleased. Mainly he just sat right on my porch and slept or layed about, enjoying the breeze. In the meantime, I got my male cat the full dose of his antibiotics and switched him to a prescription food for his bladder crystals. I noticed that with being outside, he was running around more and he was in turn drinking much more, which seems to have helped with his bladder problems. In the evenings, he would show up at my doorstep meow to be let in, so when he came in I locked both cats in the basement, where their litter is, with food and water. This basically prevented him from ever being in the living room or around my new couches.

Anyways, he has stopped peeing in the house/living room completely and seems to be back to using his litter boxes. He is allowed back in the living room but I do keep both couches almost always covered in plastic/blankets so that he won't pee on/damage them, or claw them with his back feet. So far, he has not done anything wrong and actually seems to respect our boundaries much more and is behaving better overall. He is also still meowing to go outside but I am now only letting him out when I can be there to watch him. I am even considering getting him a little kitty leash to go outside in safety (we have no fence in our yard).

I still think about possibly adopting them out while they are young/healthyish, and even posted an ad on craigslist, but I haven't responded to anyone yet and it's been 3 days since I posted ... I really don't want to give up my cats and the thought of leaving them and making them feel abandoned by us really hurts me deeply. I feel like I really can't go through with giving them away as they are really like family to me and my son.

Anyways, so far so good.. just wanted to let everyone know, since I did go back and read some heated posts in my earlier thread. I hope this continues because the thought of giving them away literally had me breaking down in tears all the time ...

cheers all.*

If he is going outside make sure he is up to date on his needles or he can spread feline diseases to your other cat including feline HIV. Also make sure he is checked for heart worm now. Also never never never put a cat on a leash to be alone outside in a yard. That is how they are killed by dogs and other animals and they can get themselves wound around things and strangled. He should also not be out if declawed, he is defenseless.

Unless you have a screened in porch, you should keep the declawed cat inside, as their claws are their only means of defense. I understand this is a difficult situation for you, but please take into account that without claws, a cat is helpless and unable to fend for themselves while outdoors.

Wow.. I can't believe it.. so my cat just peed on my new couch, as I was sitting here trying to post a response to the above messages.... luckily it was covered up in blankets and he only got the blankets but had I not covered the couches up, he would have peed all over them.

Guess I'm back to square one... I can't believe this.

Archived