Finding a certain kind of doctor

Well but then know that you simply probably will not know with any certainty whether you can conceive or not.

ETA: Btw, I'm not suggesting you should try to have kids just to see if you're fertile. That not a reason to embark on parenthood. I'm just saying that I don't believe any medical evaluation will stand in for the concerted effort to conceive.

When I went, as I mentioned earlier, I had my hormones tested. I was about 35 then. The doctor told me that I was still very fertile based on the results (and that at 37, that would start dropping, if typical). So for me, personally, I didn't have to do anything other than ask the doctor to do a work-up for me. I wasn't even in a relationship. I was worried about my potential fertility and that was enough.

Of course though, that was not accounting for other problems more mechanical. If I'd found a partner and started trying, I still might have run into problems. But based on my prior medical history (no PCO's, uterine disorders, etc. -- healthy organs, no history of pelvic infections, and no STD's) I imagine I could have conceived.

I don't know what other testing they can do NOW, other than what I've mentioned, with the RE. So you'll just have to look into that.

I'm just saying I don't believe that they can rule out infertility issues before you even try, unless they find something glaring from these tests, find a physical abnormality on a thorough gyn exam, or find out your husband's sperm has problems. I don't think in the absence of abnormal symptoms, they're likely to do pelvic ultrasounds. But I'm not sure what a full fertility eval consists of. As far as I know, it was what I got. Which was not a guarantee -- it was an informed "snapshot."

I think the first question they'll ask you is if you're trying to have a baby. I think if you were to answer yes, they'd then ask how long you've been at it, and would accept your answer as honest, because why would anyone lie about that.

Archived