Chewing and Spitting - Good or Bad?

In January of this year I weighed 67 kg. I now weigh 60 kg thanks to some lifestyle changes, such as healthier eating habits and exercise. Despite this, the temptation to eat junk food is hard to resist. This in itself has not been a large problem considering I usually manage, and when I don't it's not the end of the world. Today, however, something odd occurred. I gave in to having a cookie and I started chewing it, but then felt really guilty and spit it all out before swallowing. I know that sounds bizarre, and probably unhealthy, but I got to thinking and I came to the conclusion that it might be better to just chew and spit when I give into my cravings (which isn't that often anyway) instead of swallowing. Of course, if I'm hungry and want to swallow it I would; it just seems to me that what I'm really looking for is the taste. Thoughts?

I'm recovering from an eating disorder and one of the things I used to do was "chew and spit." It did not help in any way. It only kept me from learning and practicing healthy eating behaviors. So I don't recommend doing it.

Thank you for saying this^

"Chew and spit", although people with eating disorders can do this, it's particularly aligned with bulimia. This habit is unhealthy. It'd be better to start trying out--and EATING--healthier foods, than chewing and spitting bad ones.

Archived