Do they ever come back after dating someone else?

playstheblues

Just want to send hugs, as someone going through something similar. I don't have much useful advice I am afraid, but I tend to agree with a lot that has been said - every situation is different but right now you need to concentrate on you, it does sound like being in contact is letting him have his cake and eat it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Almost every couple I know who reconciled dated other people/had rebounds before getting back together.

Really? I'm wanting to believe this possible for my own sake, but also skeptical that after people go and have other relationships they actually manage to find each other again in the world.

What sort of time frames does this happen in? Many people have told me if he hasn't come back by now, 4 months, then he won't ever.

Really? I'm wanting to believe this possible for my own sake, but also skeptical that after people go and have other relationships they actually manage to find each other again in the world.

What sort of time frames does this happen in? Many people have told me if he hasn't come back by now, 4 months, then he won't ever.

My ex ex (4.5 years together) came back after 10 months NC... and she broke up with me after finding out that I kissed another girl once during our 1st year together... During those 10 months, I had a rebound for 3 months, and slept with 3 other girls...when this exex came back, I didnt lover her anymore, and I simply "enjoyed" the ride for 2 months (FWB)....

My current ex (6 years together) broke up 7 months ago, 5 months NC, I'm trying to move on, I've dated a "rebound" for 3 months, now I'm relearning to be alone... Since the BU was mainly due to her "inexperience" (she is 29 years old and had never dated before our RS), she started dating a co-worker 3 weeks after our BU (main reason to break up, she was "enchanted" by the novelty), and our relationship was a very good one without fighting and the BU was not nasty (letting go with love), I'm positively sure that I'll hear from her in the future... Unfortunately, since I'm still feeling a lot of anger (keeping it to myself, going agains the advice of my therapist who told me to meet my ex and release my anger on her), I doubt that I'll ever welcome her in my life again (I had proposed to her 2 years ago, she left me to hook up with her co-worker)...oh well, immature women...pffft....

All situations are different, its impossible to put a time frame on this kind of stuff... They often come back....often too late... I once read: 3 out of 3 exes come back. 2 out 3 do it too late.... (once you've actually moved on and lost major feelings for them...)

So, it is true: time heals everything...

playstheblues - listen to the great advice you are getting here!! You really have to let go a bit for your own sake. Take a step back now and concentrate on you. You can't change anything with him, so just let him find his own way. He has told you he is unsure and confused, so he has already admitted something. Now, let him miss you and see for himself how life will be without you. I am sending you hugs...xxx

Just wanted to say this a really good thread...excellent original question by the OP. And great last post rosie, it makes perfect sense (now! that being in contact with the ex when theyre with someone else can only help her new relationship. Wish i applied this better.

thanks, if your ex still has feelings for you it is never to late to change things with you guys, but the big question is if they do or they don't. In a way I know I am lucky with my ex the feelings are still there but if by the time he comes back to me it will all be to little to late who knows.

best of luck with everything and don't blame yourself we all live and learn from our mistakes and as long as you do learn from them then I do believe there is always that hope of changing things around, however from what everyone tells me exs only come back once we have moved on and by then it is to little to late anyway

I soo agree with what you are saying and the trouble is firstly when you have been with someone long term you never really loose feelings for them you just bury them deep down and they will do the same with us, the only difference is they are replacing us with someone else straight away and not giving themselves any time to heal and the person they are with are kind of getting advantage cause they are the ones helping our exs through the break up. Apparently they do normally come back when it is to late and everyone tells that if my ex has the balls to fight for me one day then by this stage I prob would of met someone better than him that is so annoying.

My ex also told me how confused he was and to be far I am sure he is but then the more that he thought that I was gonna sit around and wait for him whilst he was with someone else the closer he was gonna get to this other girl. They need to realise they have lost you in order to get them back. I am not saying everyone should confront there exs like I did but you need to find a way to let them realise if you mean it or not you are moving on with your life and believe me whilst you are sitting there worrying about them, they are not spending as much as time worrying about us, yes they will still think of us but they are more interested in there new toy than us, especially if they are in the honey moon stage of the relationship.

playstheblues if your ex is gonna come to you from what I understand this could take anything from up to a month, to a year to three years or may be even twenty years but they never come back whilst we are waiting for them. It is all about living your own life and not waiting by the phone for that magical call cause if he will get in contact it is gonna be when you least expect it.

I cannot believe how close to my own situation this is.....and the bit at the end.....immature women......MY EXACT THOUGHT on how I feel about my ex......I thought I was having an outer body experience reading this.

It's funny how you find people here that have situations that almost mirror your own. You always think that your situation is completely unique but then realise that human nature, accross the world, is incredibly similar.

I'm wondering if the profile of your ex's new partner matters/reveals anything about the relationship at all. It's come to light, through someone else telling me information even after I requested that no one update me on my ex) that the new girl he is dating it basically extremely different to me. She is more 'out there', wears seriously revealing clothing, competes in 'Miss Drinkfest' style competitions, drinks a lot, parties hard, cakes on the makeup, works in a job that isn't career focussed (not that there is any problem with this- but something my ex would usually frown upon) and just generally seems to be quite the opposite. I'm actually pleased about this for some strange reason - not because I think I am better or worse than this other girl, but I think, from what I've seen, this seems to personify a re-bound. Usually my ex would not find these qualities in a person attractive so I don't feel as awful and like I've been replaced. Maybe I'm being naive though? As first thought, he does seem to be going through some real quarter life crisis phase. It's funny how I seemed to have a lot more clarity at the beginning of the situation but because my confidence has been shattered, I have been so confused and haven't been confident in my thoughts.

Do you think the profile of your ex's new date tells anything?

The time frames varied. My best friend dumped her (now ex)boyfriend due to 'growing apart' and they reconciled almost exactly a year later. They broke up twice after that and now they are dating different people and quite happy..which shows that reconciling doesn't always work out either. Another friend's parents split for nearly two years before getting back together. My old ex recently popped up in my life after being broken up for 3 years and not speaking for 2. I have other examples but again, some worked out, some didn't. I also know lots of couples who broke up, dated others, and didn't get back together. The point is that each situation is different and while many people have reconciled after dating others, it's not healthy to rely on that fact. Just look out for yourself in the meantime

Everyone so far has given some really great advice. I'd also like to add (and if someone has already ready said it then I apologize) but someone really wise in my life explained to me that when someone goes through a breakup (I believe this can apply to both dumper and dumpee) and then dates someone new there will ALWAYS be differences, both good and bad. The good differences will probably reflect the things that were missing in the previous relationship. I think thats what scares us the most when thinking about the ex thats dating someone when we're not over them. All that wondering if he/she will like this new person better, will they be everything we're not, ect... But we forget to remember about the bad differences. No matter how the relationship ended if it was significant then there will be things your ex loved about you (despite the fact that they decided to breakup with you). And without even meaning to your ex will realize these things, its human nature, change is ALWAYS hard, especially bad change. Maybe it will be little things like what you laugh at during particular shows or how much you love that one takeout place, not matter what particular things your ex loved about you this new person he is dating will all most never be the same. So even though they may have some great qualities, your ex will also pick up on things they miss about YOU. Again change is always difficult good or bad, so remember chances are the first relationship they have after you will not be a amazing as you think it is. As for how long it take for someone to come to back, well one of my ex's came back after a year of NC, however there was definitely no chemistry anymore (probably wasn't any to begin with because we were so young with absolutely no clue lol) so now we're just kind of friends, we also changed as people and not in a good way, we didn't change into compatible people so thats not going to go anywhere but at the same time I thought I would NEVER hear from this guy again. So you never know.

I soo agree with what you are saying and the trouble is firstly when you have been with someone long term you never really loose feelings for them you just bury them deep down and they will do the same with us, the only difference is they are replacing us with someone else straight away and not giving themselves any time to heal and the person they are with are kind of getting advantage cause they are the ones helping our exs through the break up. Apparently they do normally come back when it is to late and everyone tells that if my ex has the balls to fight for me one day then by this stage I prob would of met someone better than him that is so annoying.

Well the timing is always funny...when my exex of 4.5years came back, I had nobody...I thought I still loved her, so I decided to give it a shot, calmly... We hooked up a few times over a period of 2 months (the FWB thing), and then, out of the blue, one day I go to the beach with my best friend and some friends of his, and I meet my current ex... I immediately called my exex and asked her if what we were doing was with exclusivety or if we were "allowed" to date others...she replied: "You know I want to be with you, but just the simple fact that you're asking me this, means that you've met somebody else... I am happy for you, I am happy that we had these 2 last months together, and I wish you the best with this new girl..." (curiosity: this conversation with the exex was the same day I had simply MET my current ex... I felt in love with her from the first second, and only a couple of weeks later we actually kissed for the first time...)

So, the timing in this case was really funny... I had just "reconnected" with the exex after 10 months NC, I was trying to "grow feelings" for her, but in that period, I actually met my current ex... So, yeah, in this case the exex came back a tad too late...had she reaproached me a few months earlier, things could have ended up completely different...

My ex also told me how confused he was

Funny, my current ex told me the same thing in all of our meetings post-BU (3 or 4 times over the 2 next months post-BU): she kept saying she was confused and did not know what she wanted to do with her life....at the same time, I conviced her to tell me that she was still hooking up with her co-worker (I am a lawyer, very persuasive speeches...)

I completely agree with the statement "the more that he thought that I was gonna sit around and wait for him whilst he was with someone else the closer he was gonna get to this other girl. My ex thought that we were gonna be friends... I obviously told her from day 1 "dont expect us to be friends for now...maybe forever..." She cried compulsively everytime I said this. I was not going to stay there and give her the emotional support I had been giving her over the last 6 years while she was screwing around her co-worker...

"They need to realise they have lost you in order to get them back." Exactly - this was what happened with my exex and I am sure this will happen with the current one...just a couple of weeks ago I had a strange feeling, that the tables have finally turned...my silence and removing her from her life from day 1 finally paid off... My ex contacted my sister a couple of weeks ago via email, and I just had that feeling that something had changed even before knowing that she had contacted my sister (she only told me about this conversation last weekend)... Very banal talk between the both of them (they were not close friends during our relationship), but it was basically my ex testing the waters to know if my family is angry at her for what she did... Also, since the day I went NC, my ex went on Facebook silence (I deleted my FB account, but my sister tells me that she has been MIA on Facebook)...She hasnt posted any photos, any videos, links...nothing, nada, rien... she actually still has our photos together, and no new photos or posts since I went NC...and she had always been very active on FB, mainly in the 2 months after BU, before I went NC...she kept posting sad songs, bla bla bla...childish atittude for a 29 year old IMO...whatever...

I am not saying everyone should confront there exs like I did but you need to find a way to let them realise if you mean it or not you are moving on with your life and believe me whilst you are sitting there worrying about them, they are not spending as much as time worrying about us, yes they will still think of us but they are more interested in there new toy than us, especially if they are in the honey moon stage of the relationship.

I told my ex during our last conversation: "you know that I'm gonna move on"..she started crying and said: "I want you to move on..." Which I did...NC for 5 months, and the door to reconciliation is now completely closed...the only way I would ever welcome her in my life again (even as a mere friend), is if she comes crawling back (wont happen), and mainly if she recognizes that she messed up big time by breaking up the way she did (she lied to me for 1 month before actually recognizing that there was another guy in the picture). I would also be very careful with letting her in again, cos I dont trust her now... I always had since day 1, until she messed up by lying to my face and being emotionally unfaithful in the months prior to the BU (Where the coworker had already been hitting on her, and I had never even heard his name before the BU)...

Also, I have grown up a lot during these 5 months, been working on myself and redefining my priorities in life (I was a big workaholic, young lawyer just starting, it takes some sacrifices)... I am now spending a lot of time with my family and friends, going to the gym, eating healthy, reading a lot and going to therapy to understand and solve my fear of abandonment issues... This whole situation put a hold on my professional life, but it is for the greater good... I need to grow up emotionally and dont let this kind of situations affect me as much as they did post-BU...

they never come back whilst we are waiting for them. It is all about living your own life and not waiting by the phone for that magical call cause if he will get in contact it is gonna be when you least expect it.

I do believe that this is the pure truth... If you want to have that person in your life again, you have to completely forget that hope of having her/him again...forget the despair, the anger, the resentment and all the negative feelings that typically reside post-BU....only then does the clock to reconnection start ticking... and in that case, "having her/him again" is not a reconciliation...it has to/can be a new relationship that just happens to have the same 2 individuals... an almost clean sheet...

In theory, this is all very interesting and hopeful...in practice, it doesn't happen often IMO...

regarding the fb with your ex i could pretty tell you that the reason why she does nothing on fb now is cause she does not want anything about her life getting back to you, I also do the same with my ex the less he knows about my life the more his mind will wonder.

but you do seem very angry with your ex and i do hope in time you will let that go, cause at first I was angry with my ex but I let it go we were together for 8 years and I am not gonna stay mad at him, he is a man after all had some girl offering him easy s*x he was not gonna say no to her and he never knew that I knew about them and so on but anyway that is beside the point.

my ex never wanted to loose me and I don't think your ex wanted to loose you she would not be crying if she did not care but you should know a lot of people go off with someone else to fill that void after a long term relationship.

also in the long run it was your choice to close the door on your relationship and think may be one day she will come crawling back and I do believe after a long term relationship especailly in my case 8 years and with the OP 9 years together they do come back in some way if you handle things correctly with them, it just depends on how you play things.

hey it is great that you are working on yourself though and you are seeking the help that you need to deal with things but because if there is one thing that I know a man leaving you for someone and a women leaving you for someone else are two completely different things cause of course a women is gonna cry if you tell her you can't be his friends where as when I told my ex that he just looks shocked and knows he has to deal with that, but there is no point in being harsh with your ex in the long run it does not get you anywhere and if one really wants there ex back all you can really do is make sure they know you are moving on be nonchalant with it all and just wait and see if they come back to you at one point but I do believe after a long term they always do at one point or another. Sometimes they don't if there is abuse and things have been handled incorrectly since the BU and so on but I do believe a lot of the time they do come back but even when they do come back it does not mean the relationship will work second time round.

To answer the OP: Sometimes.

I've had exes go date others and stay gone, I've had exes date and come back, and there was really no rhyme or reason to any of it.

In my current situation, she is seeing someone. I think I conducted myself post-BU as best I could to not ruin the chances of reconciling, however good or slim those chances may be. Time (in NC) will tell for me and her.

It's a painful and indecisive truth, but the honest answer is just that. Sometimes.

regarding the fb with your ex i could pretty tell you that the reason why she does nothing on fb now is cause she does not want anything about her life getting back to you, I also do the same with my ex the less he knows about my life the more his mind will wonder.

Correctomondo. I know she is doing that on purpose. My ex actually wrote in the email to my sister "I havent had the time to go to Facebook". Why would she say that on an email out of the blue? Just cos she knows that my sister keeps me informed of her (in)activity on Facebook, and she just wants to convey the message that she's too busy to even go there... which is a lie. Even the busiest of the lawyers in my law firm goes daily to FB, even if not posting, just to "look around"....everybody does it, even those who don't really care about FB (my best friend for example...he cares less about FB than he does about the color of President Obama socks, however, he goes there at least once a week just to take a peek)...

My ex is having fun either with the co-worker, or with some other dude, but she hasnt forgotten about me, nor will she anytime soon...her Facebook silence only confirms that...as her email to my sister did... She is having fun and not often thinking about me, but in any case she doesnt want anyone (mainly her family who criticized her a lot for the break up) to know about her new adventures... She is keeping a low profile, because she feels guilty about the BU (she actually told me this during our last meeting), and she just wants to see what else is out there after a 6 year relationship...

but you do seem very angry with your ex and i do hope in time you will let that go, cause at first I was angry with my ex but I let it go we were together for 8 years and I am not gonna stay mad at him, he is a man after all had some girl offering him easy s*x he was not gonna say no to her and he never knew that I knew about them and so on but anyway that is beside the point.

I am angry obviously. She broke up over the phone. At that time I was living abroad, and I had no idea why we were breaking up. She only said "I cant put up with the distance anymore" - after this, I quit my job, and came back to her country in 3 weeks... The day I got back, we met and she told me she had already hooked up with the coworker. Only at that moment I started to see the first glimpse of the whole picture... Over the next few months, she kept saying she was confused, etc...yet kept hooking up with the other guy... 2 months after the BU I got a final closure meeting, I went NC and went on with my life... I left a very good job in the contry where I was before to come to her country... I got a good job here (paying less than half of what I was getting before), but due to the financial crisis, I was fired a week ago... Now, Im jobless, huge rent to pay, still looking for something new...In a couple of months I'll have no savings left, and if I dont find a new job asap Im gonna have to go back to my parents house... So, yeah, Im angry. Angry she couldnt be honest with me from day 1. Angry she couldnt actually tell me before she was unhappy due to the distance (she never told me how desperate she was with the distance). Angry she kept stringing me along saying that she was confused yet kept hooking up with the other guy. Angry she disrespected me and brok a 6 year relationship over the phone. Angry she had been being emotionally unfaithful over the last few weeks/months before the BU, never even mentioning that she was feeling unsecure, doubtful, whatever...she just kept dealing with the RS the same way she always did...despite the distance, I visited her every 3 weeks, she visited me only twice in 20 months living apart...she always acted the same around me, never giving me any idea that things were changing and that she was growing a distance of this relationship...

So yeah, Im angry. My therapist advised from the beginning to release my anger on her and tell her all this to her face. I havent. That would burn all bridges, that I dont want to burn.

For now, I know she is afraid to get close to me. Despite all the letting go with love we had (typical hug during our last meeting, a kiss on her forehead and a "talk to you one of these days..."), she surely knows that Im angry. She knows that she messed up big time. It's up to her to have the "cojones" to reapproach me one day...

She was a virgin before meeting me, she reached a point in her life of wanting to know what else is out there... I do understand her situation and I accept it... What I cant yet manage to understand nor forgive, was the poor way she dealt with this break up, and the lying post-BU, and the lack of honesty that made me take the plunge for our relationship, lose my job, and turned my life upside down... Im trying to put everything back in place now (get a new job, etc.), but its not easy, and I blame her lack of honesty for everything that happened in my life over the last 6 months... Will I forgive and let go? Maybe one day, either when she sincerely apologizes for her immature actions post-BU, or when I just fix my life again and enough time goes by without hearing anything from her...

my ex never wanted to loose me and I don't think your ex wanted to loose you she would not be crying if she did not care but you should know a lot of people go off with someone else to fill that void after a long term relationship.

I know she went off with that co-worker just to "try it out" and to fill in the void. That was her mistake. And she will suffer the consequences of that choice, once she is finally confronted with the void of not having me in her life anymore. This is why NC is also important: not only to heal oneself, but also to make the other person feel the emptiness of not knowing anything from the person you had/have a strong emotional connection with... If she feels one day in the future that she wants to fill in that void with my presence in her life, she just needs to contact me...I never closed doors for communication. Let's just hope that when she gets that feeling, I have already reached a point of letting go of all the anger...

also in the long run it was your choice to close the door on your relationship and think may be one day she will come crawling back and I do believe after a long term relationship especailly in my case 8 years and with the OP 9 years together they do come back in some way if you handle things correctly with them, it just depends on how you play things.

Hmmm, it was never my choice to close the door on the relationship...I closed the door for being in her life or having her in my life from the moment I finally understood that she wanted to try other men... I wanted and still want a relationship with her...a proper one, with commitment, and not a relationship where she felt the need to see what else is out there... But I'm not gonna go after that relationship anymore...I did enough. I moved countries, changed job, lost it all, and know I'm rebuilding my life from scratch. If she ever feels that she wants a relationship with me, it's gonna have to be her the one to come forward...and I honestly hope that all my anger has disappeared when/if that happens...

hey it is great that you are working on yourself though and you are seeking the help that you need to deal with things but because if there is one thing that I know a man leaving you for someone and a women leaving you for someone else are two completely different things cause of course a women is gonna cry if you tell her you can't be his friends where as when I told my ex that he just looks shocked and knows he has to deal with that, but there is no point in being harsh with your ex in the long run it does not get you anywhere and if one really wants there ex back all you can really do is make sure they know you are moving on be nonchalant with it all and just wait and see if they come back to you at one point but I do believe after a long term they always do at one point or another.

I was never harsh on her despite thinking about calling her on a daily basis just to release all my anger. I havent done it over the last 5 months, and I wont do it... The only negative thing I did was block her and all her friends/family on Facebook...and after a few months I just deleted my FB account altogether... FB is indeed evil when it comes to relationships...

I am moving one, slowly...I can only show her that by not contacting her, as I have been over the last 5 months of total NC. I have no possibility of being nonchalant because she hasnt approached me directly even once after our final closure meeting... In any case I'll only be able to be nonchalant when I let go of all the anger...nonchalance cannot be faked when you're a pretty transparent person like I am... So, Im actually glad she hasnt contacted me yet... If she had, I had probably exploded and released all the anger on her...As such, I have small implosions every now and then, I cry, I scream, I release my anger within me... No need to burn bridges when the love is still here...

As you do, I also believe that after a significant relationship (as 6 years were), they always come back at one point...even if only out of curiosity... How will I react if/when that happens? I'll cross that bridge if/when I have to. For now, I'm focusing on myself. No more rebounds for me, no more constant self-pitty. I'm picking myself up very slowly,and I know that the waters will find their own level. Life tends to put things in their places, and karma is indeed a * * * * * ..

Sometimes they don't if there is abuse and things have been handled incorrectly since the BU and so on but I do believe a lot of the time they do come back but even when they do come back it does not mean the relationship will work second time round.

Well, in my case there was no abuse, no unfaithfulness (on my side at least...she was emotionally unfaithful towards the end...)...she handled the BU poorly (lying, etc), I acted like a freaking prince charmin and a gentleman (coming back for her for good, telling her that I finally understood that she wanted to try new things in her life, etc..)..

As such, I do believe she will come back once she realizes that grass is not greener, once she realizes that what we had was a very good thing, and once she has a glimpse of the new me after all the improvements I have been making lately... But if we are gifted with a new opportunity (not a second chance per se, but a whole new relationship) she also needs to grow and have these experiences she wanted to have, and work on her issues as well (lack of communication skills identified by her and her family...)... If she doesnt do that, we could never work... Let's hope that she manages to do that soon enough so that I dont forget her completely (as I did with the exex) or meet someone new that steals my heart, but not that soon enough that my anger hasnt all disappeared by then... It's all about timing now...

Thanks a lot for your input rosie smith!

no probs but I don't wanna ruin the OP posts so all I shall say it is great you are sorting yourself out and carry on doing that and yes move on with your life. I get why you are annoyed with her and people lie after a break up either cause they are ashamed of themselves, don't really wanna let there past loves go but wanna see who else is out there they don't wanna hurt you and so many things

as long as she knows she could come back to you that you are there for her in one way or another that is important but in the mean time I would not worry about her not thinking of you cause when she is alone she will think of you just get your life back on track now and even if she does call you and you are not ready to talk to her there is no harm in telling her that and just tell her you will talk another time, if two people are mean to be together they will be but in the mean time you just have to let everything go with her cause even if you were to confront her about how you feel it is only gonna push her away/may be for good.

best of luck with everything and time is a great healer

Thanks a 1000 rosie smith... I haven't felt this calm and peaceful for a few weeks now... Your words helped me immensely... Thanks! Good luck on your journey too... we will get there one day, and find happiness in the end, be it with our exes or someone much better... that's the way it always goes...

no prob and if you need to pm me you can do, honeslty though time is a great healer and just be happy on your own for now and then you will be happy with someone else cause our exs will never find happiness with anyone else until they know what they want and are happy and healed with in them selves anyway.

as time goes by you will feel better it is just all about being patient at the mo and if your ex is gonna happen I would be suprised if it will happen straight away. For example with my situation my ex will come back either when it is to late and I have been with someone for a while and then I won't leave that person or he will get that panicked feelings that i am moving on now but until that happens I am happy living my life and yes it is sad loosing that long term relationship but when one door closes another one opens, anyway I am off to bed now, take care and thanks

I hear you, I second everything you have said above.

Been a year since me and my ex split and I haven't seen her bf but have heard he is the total opposite to me too.......rebound or not...I think after almost a year they are still together....

yeah it tells something.....it tells you "hey f......k off, you shouldn't be looking" haha

Archived