What to eat

Camping & being a vegetarian. I loved camping when I was younger but I wasn't a vegetarian. (Can't even remember what we made then!) I have been for several years and I can't seem to figure out what I could possibly take camping to eat.

Let's avoid the whole beans here. LOL Foods that can if your in a tent with a group of people isn't very nice. I'm aware that a lot of veggy food can have this reaction if you don't watch what you eat.

Some of my thoughts were peanut butter sandwiches and grilling veggy burgers. But that is all I can think of! (Too much of that isn't good LOL) I have thought about this for days. I'm just stumped. I'm wondering if there are any vegetarian camping loving people here or vegetarians who may have other ideas?

Breakfast? Lunch? Dinner?

Ya I have thought about recently would it be more easier if I gave in and wasn't a vegetarian anymore? But I don't think I could eat flesh... grosses me out now, okay I put it that way to make it sound worse.

Is this wilderness backpacking or car/campground backpacking?

How long of a trip is this?

Just trying to figure out if you just need meal ideas, or if you're worried about getting enough protein. If you're not on a physically-demanding backpacking trip, then the amount of protein really shouldn't be too much of an issue.

veggie sausages are as easy as hot dogs - stick on a stick and cook over fire

If you're going to have a campfire, baked potatoes work well - wrap in foil and stick in the coals early in the day when you build the fire, pull out to eat in the evening. They also work well for hash for breakfast the next day sliced up with leftover sausage (veggie in your case).

Lunch - if you'll have a griddle, grilled cheese is a quick and easy one, and you can have everyone bring a can of soup of choice.

All depends on how elaborate you want to get - you can make almost anything camping as you can in a kitchen, just depends how long you're going, and how much stuff you want to bring as to what your limits are!

Went camping last summer with my best friend who is vegetarian. She does sometimes eat fish. The first night we had grilled salmon (yumm!). The next night - greek salad with feta cheese and hard boiled eggs. The last night - tofu veggie stir fry.

For lunches: cheese sandwiches, tofu pate sandwiches, salad, tuna cups, hard boiled eggs, etc.

For breakfast we had oatmeal with great toppings: dried cranberries, walnuts, raisins, other dried fruits, etc. And also the first day we had scrambled eggs.

We ate gourmet and you can too!

If you're campsiting out of the back of a vehicle, and have a stove, then it would be the same things you eat at the house. Hiking is different, I like cans of veggie refried beans, lots of energy for the trail, and if it not too cold out you can eat it with out heating it first. Get one of those plastic lids that reclose dog food (semi-gross) unless you can eat a whole can at once. Good with crackers or bread. Bring a small jar of peanut butter, more trail energy and comes with a screw on top. "trail mix" is good, basically salad croutons and raisin and nut (I hate raisins).

Cans of soup or stews, when you open then leave part of the lid attached and place the can right down in the fire (if one, some parks are fussy) the lid keeps the ashes out of the soup, bring a old oven mitt for when the an gets hot, you can eat right out of the can too, saves on hauling a bowl with you.

Some sporting good places have veggie dehydrated meals for camping.

Have fun.

I'm thinking if we just have a grill or have to eat cold food. The camping trip I'm going on is warm food (grill) but for school it's all cold meal ideas. Or is my best bet to not get a grill and invest in a camping stove?

So exactly how do you make baked potatoes?

Luminousone like your gourmet idea but your friend isn't a vegetarian. She is a pesciterian. I'm also picky though I don't do fish and I also don't do rice (as someone else mentioned).

Soup sounds complicated. I just want easy stuff that isn't too hard to fuss over when the other people are meat eaters. I don't want to be too accommodated for...

I'll probably be digging mostly into snacks and protein bars then. Unless I give into fish...

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm one of those picky eaters who looks at ingredients. Eggs that don't need to be chilled?? Odd... I do eat some dairy I'm not a vegan.

Suppose I'll need a cooler!

How about pasta and veggies? A nice meal can be made from canned or boxed things. You don't say if you eat dairy and eggs, but if so eggs are always great for camping. Get those plastic carriers and the eggs don't even need to be chilled in a cooler.

Take some Bisquick and boxed (no need for ice) milk or soy milk and make bisquits and pancakes. There is a nifty camping oven you can get to bake on an open fire.

Get one of those grill basket thingies, load it with tofu and veggies, and stick the whole thing in the fire.

Take 2 steel plates and some metal clips. put 2 tortillas between them and fill with veggies and cheese or tofu, stick the whole thing in the fire for quesadillas or make it pizza style with red sauce.

Tofu sausages & peppers are quick and easy too.

Have a great trip.

Get one of those grill basket thingies, load it with tofu and veggies, and stick the whole thing in the fire.

Take 2 steel plates and some metal clips. put 2 tortillas between them and fill with veggies and cheese or tofu, stick the whole thing in the fire for quesadillas or make it pizza style with red sauce.

Okay this sounds fairly easy!!! Now I need to figure where to get two steel plates! How long do you cook something like this for? Metal clips? I just don't want to bring too much.

I don't think I have ever made tofu before. I usually survive off soy protein products.

___

One trip is fairly moderate with people hanging out. The other trip is school and a mix of hiking around...

For the potatoes - easy peasy - just wash the outsides, rub with a little veg oil or olive oil, dust with a little salt, and wrap in foil. When the fire's going and there's some coals at the bottom, stick them in the coals. Leave them for a few hours while you're doing other stuff - about 4-5 hours or so - and pull them out with tongs.

And the soup, if you get some that doesn't require diluting, no need to worry about a pan or anything complicated - just open the top about 3/4, and put the cans around the edge of the fire to heat up.

Things not to forget:

Can opener, metal tongs, cheap oven mitts

And if you want to make easy to eat snack bars, you can use the basic recipe for rice crispy treats - and use kashi cereal or granola and dried fruit and almonds in the same amount you would cereal. No need to chill, and they last a while. Add some wheat germ for extra nutrition. I usually use special K, almonds, and golden raisins in mine, or chopped dried apricots.

I find couscous very easy for a quick meal. You could also try pre-cooking some falafel and take some houmos or other sauce type things with you. I have recently reverted to vegetarianism. I was previously a vegetarian for a couple of years many years ago, but unfortunately got sick and ended up forcing myself to eat meat again. This time round, I know a lot more about cooking and dietry requirements, and there is lots more availabe for vegetarians so it's much, more eaier. I find the cooking is different, but better than as a meat-eater. I generally cook every couple of days but cook a few things at once, some of which I freeze in serving size containers. . Generally, the food will keep much easier and safer than meat. I like the sound of the potatoes! I haven't been camping yet though that is something I also like and I agree that it neednt be too different to what you eat at home.

Fire-baked potatoes, corn, cauliflower, broccoli - it's all good and easy enough cause it kinda cooks while you go about your business The plus side is since it's not over the open flame, it rarely burns or overcooks. If you want to go fancy, wrap some broccoli florets in foil, or mushrooms - add a touch of olive oil, garlic salt, and lemon pepper and shove those foil packets in the coals a couple of hours after the potatoes. You can top the baked potatoes with the veggies and a little cheese and never miss butter

So exactly how do you make baked potatoes?

Luminousone like your gourmet idea but your friend isn't a vegetarian. She is a pesciterian.

Suppose I'll need a cooler!

Once you make the baked potatoes then you could put toppings on them- I love to use tofu based "cream cheese" (Toffutti brand), veggie chili, and grated cheddar cheese.

As far as my friend - yes I guess you could call her that. Almost all of the time she is vegetarian but once in a while her body craves some extra protein so she goes with fish...

If you are backpacking then do not take things that need to be kept cold - or if you do, then eat it all on the first day. Otherwise if you are car camping then I would take a cooler - unless your friends have room in theirs for your stuff.

Love the tortilla pizza idea!

If you wanted to get fancy then you could make anything you want in a dutch oven - cornbread, baked apples, cobbler, etc.

Here's an example - and remember, you can adjust the type of fruit, nuts, and add things like flax seed and wheat germ to pack in more vitamins and protein.

From link removed

Cranberry Nut Granola Bars

Ingredients

2 cups quick-cooking oats

1 cup old-fashioned oats

1/2 cup hulled pumpkin seeds

1/2 cup slivered almonds

1 cup mixed nuts

1 cup dried cranberries

1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

Directions

Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a 13x9-inch pan with lightly-greased parchment paper; an inch or so of parchment paper should stick up on 2 sides to form lifting handles.

Mix the quick-cooking oats, old-fashioned oats, pumpkin seeds, almonds, mixed nuts, cranberries, and sweetened condensed milk together in a bowl; spread into the prepared pan, evenly pressing into the corners and out to the sides.

Bake in the preheated oven until the edges are golden brown, 20-25 minutes, using slightly less time for chewier bars and slightly more time for crunchier bars.

Allow the the bars cool for 5 minutes in the pan before using the parchment paper to lift them from the pan. Use a sharp knife to cut into bars. Let the bars cool completely and store in an airtight container.

Archived