What's wrong with my sister?

She just got up suddenly and started breaking stuff and throwing stuff. She's actually been doing this as long as I've known her every time something happened that made her feel anxious or distressed/frustrated.

She's had some panic attacks a while back, and took medication for anxiety and saw a psychiatrist for some time. She stopped the medication though because she was feeling better.

But is this normal to break stuff and throw stuff? and she tends to be very anxious and stressed all the time.

Yesterday, there was really loud thunder (so loud it woke us both up) but she got very scared I think coz she got up and started reading online about thunder.

And today seems to be one of those days where she's not that great and I never know what to do when she's like that. Leave her alone or go and talk to her?

I tried to talk to her last night, see if she was ok, but she pulled away, told me not to touch her and leave her alone.

I worry about her and I never know what to do. :sad:

No, it's not normal, but nobody on this board can diagnose her. It sounds like going off her meds was a mistake. If you live with parents, I'd try convincing them to get her back to the doctor. If you don't live with parents, I'd attempt contact with the doctor--they can listen to what you tell them, but they can't necessarily tell you anything without her consent. They can possibly recommend a course of action for you to take, such as seeing a social worker to find out more options.

Nobody on this board has tried to do so. There is a world of difference between "diagnosing her" and spotting strong occurrences of the traits. There is nothing subtle or nuanced about such traits. Indeed, a person would have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to spot traits such as temper tantrums, verbal abuse, inappropriate anger, black-white thinking, and lack of impulse control. Before leaving high school, Gabriella already could spot strong selfishness and grandiosity -- without trying to diagnose Narcissistic PD. She already could spot the class drama queen -- without having to diagnose Histrionic PD. And she already could identify extremely shy classmates -- without diagnosing Avoidant PD. Likewise, she now can easily spot strong BPD traits if they have been occurring in her sister.

My guess is, defensiveness wouldn't require a DPD diagnosis, either.

Thanks all for your replies. My sister lives alone (she's 22), and I live in another country but I always visit her when I get the chance on holidays.

I looked at the symptoms of BPD here: link removed

I don't think she has them to be honest.

She's always been quite an unreliable and irresponsible person though and very impulsive. My father and his brother tend to be like that too and my sister is a lot like my dad.

It's just times that she gets like that and I've learnt to ignore it until she's ok again. Little things tend to affect her a lot too, I just think that she can't seem to relax at all.

Always stressed about uni, she also used to be borderline anorexic for some time when she was a teen (and then tend to go from borderline anorexic to chubby and back again).

I don't know, if she does have BPD, is there anything I can do?

She's already been to a psychologist and a psychiatrist, I don't know if she would want to go again. and I can't force her either coz I know if try to do so, she won't listen and any treatment won't work.

Archived