Divorce Decree Financial Crisis

Raoul

Okay, I work in a Family Law office and we ARE NOT stupid! There is a formula that has to be followed by law. The amount you pay is figured on the DissoMaster program. The attorneys admit the equation is questionable, but if they, and the courts do not use it they will be sanctioned and that means they can lose their license to practice law. It sucks, but it is the way it is, it's all number crunching. This came about because of men who complained that the courts favored women...so they came up with this wacky equation and we are STUCK with it! So, you can thank the guys for this. Try calculating Epstein/Watts/Jeffries credits, Moore Marsden calculations and 26/40s without a mathematician handy, it ain't easy.

This came about because of men who complained that the courts favored women...so they came up with this wacky equation and we are STUCK with it! So, you can thank the guys for this. Try calculating Epstein/Watts/Jeffries credits, Moore Marsden calculations and 26/40s without a mathematician handy, it ain't easy.

Like I said, you're just doing your job. The law was one bad way and it magically changed to another bad way. And now its immutable?

So its sexism? Seriously? I know as many women as men who have been ruined in 'family' court. Spouting gender bias is a hollow, lame excuse.

Family court and divorce law are destroying people all over this country. You who live off the system just do your jobs.

I work with securities, corporate and tax lawyers every day. They know how to count and to explain to the parties and present to the courts the concepts necessary to produce good law.

If you need mathematical skills and don't have them, you shouldn't be doing this stuff. It wrecks men, women, children, lives.

Raoul

I know you're angry - I would be too if I were in your shoes but don't take it out on Jig... What she is saying is that the courts in effort to be fair have developed mathematical equations to answer issues such as alimony and child support. They may not be 100% correct and many attorneys and judges may not entirely agree upon them but they were the best that could be developed and the majority voted and ruled.

Its hard to be outside the norm of salaried or wage employed being self employed. It makes it harder for courts to interpret what is outside the norm and no that doesn't make it fair. There's a lot more money poured into breast cancer research and alot more options for treatment than if you have a less common cancer. You may be left with fewer options because no one is studying your disease that affects 1 in 100,000 rather than 1 in 10. That's not fair but the way it is.

I know first hand how this economy can leave you devastated. But, why were you not paying any support during your separation? Surely you were advised that you would have financial obligations to your stb-ex and your children during that time frame. My husband wrote checks to his wife the minute he walked out the door and kept writing them until papers were filed for separation and it was officially court ordered and drafted from his check automatically... the amount only changed slightly once the divorce was finalized.

Your best bet is to try to document change in circumstance which I hope you can do and in the meantime do your best to hang in there and love your kids.

Archived