Uk guys shyer than US guys?

nikkinoodles

My friend from the US claims that men are more outgoing over there than in the UK and they have no fear about approaching girls if they are interested. She is always complaining that men here in the UK are too scared or shy to approach girls.

Do you think this is true?

Why do you think this is the case if it is true?

Or do you think my friend is wrong?

HA! I live in the US hun and am not buying it! I have men talk to me all the time--so in that respect maybe? they are more outgoing--but rarely do they ask for dates that way--they are more apt to meet ppl over the internet, dating sites & such.

My guy friends here ALL meet their GF's that way.

Generally speaking we British guys are more reserved then our American brethern, I'm sure my American fiancee (shes on this board) will agree!

I do.

It has nothing to do with shyness and about the culture. We Americans are a in-your-face kind of people, and the British are not. Reserved as my fiance said. And that comes accross as shyness a lot when, in reality, it isn't. So if your friend is American, I see why she would suspect they were shy if she's comparing them to American men.

I'm a U.S. guy. Family has been here for generations and I was brought up in the midwest. I think sociology would say that U.S. culture is accepting of the "in your face" attitude. That said I'm a reserved sort of guy and kinda shy. At least for american male "standards".

That said the UK has a population around 60mil? The US population is around 300mil. Therefore there is at least twice as many males here than there are people in the UK. Then consider that the two countries probably have very different immigration histories and well... How useful are these generalizations again?

Archived