Engagement/wedding ring alternatives

A lot of times guys do know what to get but always show it to a girls' friend to see if he did make the right choice because, lets face it, showing it to the girlfriend would kind of ruin the surprise, lol

I know a few women who aren't fans of jewelry-especially rings- either because they just don't like the feel of them or for work purposes. I don't think she only needs to be allergic to it for it to be a good reason. Just as if the guy prefers her to wear one, she could prefer not to wear one and be withing the right to do so.

As long as she is happy if he doesn't wear the ring also then. It wouldn't be fair if she doesn't wear one but he does.

As far as asking a friends opinion; it a individual choice, every woman is different. The friend can have completely opposite tastes and I would hope my future husband to know me well enough and know what style of rings I like, rather than what my friend thinks I might like. Her opinion doesn't matter when it comes to that, mine does. If a guy is confident to know his girl well and know her taste he wont need anyone else seeing it before his girl.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As long as she is happy if he doesn't wear the ring also then. It wouldn't be fair if she doesn't wear one but he does.

As far as asking a friends opinion; it a individual choice, every woman is different. The friend can have completely opposite tastes and I would hope my future husband to know me well enough and know what style of rings I like, rather than what my friend thinks I might like. Her opinion doesn't matter when it comes to that, mine does. If a guy is confident to know his girl well and know her taste he wont need anyone else seeing it before his girl.

Well an e-ring is different than a wedding band. Most people (like me) who won't wear the e-ring at work will still wear the weddin gband becuase their isn't any diamond or stone on it to smack around.

I mean CS showed me my ring before he propsed and he barely knew me but I think a guy still know what his girl wants and show her friend, because a lot of times the guy gets the best friends help in distracting the girl so he can set up a proposal.

Well an e-ring is different than a wedding band. Most people (like me) who won't wear the e-ring at work will still wear the weddin gband becuase their isn't any diamond or stone on it to smack around.

I mean CS showed me my ring before he propsed and he barely knew me but I think a guy still know what his girl wants and show her friend, because a lot of times the guy gets the best friends help in distracting the girl so he can set up a proposal.

No one said they weren't different, but if one refuses to wear any sort of ring, than she shouldn't expect the guy to do it.

As far as choosing and asking friends about the ring, as I said before it's an individual thing. Some people can't breathe without their friends and want their every single input; even when it comes to what style of ring they will have forever, others are different. To each their own.

• 2 weeks later...
I am not a huge fan of diamonds but I adore opals. I wish I could have my future wedding ring to have opals in it, but opals are "soft" stones and are damaged easily. The same could be said for love, depending on the couple, but that's not very optimistic, is it?

I think I could go for a simple wedding band (no stones) and then maybe a nice piece of opal jewelry to wear on occasion. I wear the "fake" necklace all the time around my neck but I have real ones that I wear when it's a special day/time.

FYI, it's supposed to be bad luck to wear opals if they're not your birthstone I have one I wear periodically anyway because I'm not superstitious, but I know people who are so....

My hubby has 2 wedding rings and doesn't wear either of them. IMO, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Archived