I was overpayed and now my company wants their money back

My company told me today that for the past couple of years I was being over payed and now they want their money back, supposedly I owe them $28,000. I am suppose to retire in 4 years from now and they hit me with this. To top it off, I am about a 1000 miles away on a 2 weeks vacation, and today was my first day of vacation. Can you say ruined vacation! Hopefully someone is having a better day than me? I feel so hopeless right now, insult to injury!

If they overpaid you for a week or a month, I would expect that your future checks would be garnished. However, if they overpaid you for years, I would talk to an attorney right away. It is possible it was an error, but its also possible that they are trying to deny you wages that were coming to you. You could have thought that you had a raise or that this was the right amount if it was just a little more each check.

Thats the same question I asked, why is it now that you are figuring this out, they told me "we have lots of employers and we try to find these things out as soon as we can", obviously not soon enough. To the original question, I thought I rated certain compensation due to the nature of my work and my position. To add to that I was told that, and they told me right back "that was wrong".

This could also be their attempt to get you to quit before they have to pay you retirement...

I would also put in a few calls to your state employment board and perhaps your state attorney general, if you live in the US.

Unbelievable...

Hang in there, there may be a statute of limitations or something like that.

Geez, an attorney will cost you, but 28,000 is a lot of money!

Yea, I think the lawyer is the best way to go but I don't want to pull out the big guns. Earlier I made a few phone calls to a friend on the inside, he said he is going to look into it, but he told me it didn't look good and to call him on Monday.

I am not sure how an organization can do this. If they are going to deduct your wages is this some dishonest attempt of theirs to reduce salaries so they claim that they overpaid employees so that they can cut back their paycheque? Is the company in financial trouble...are they looking to give the CEO a raise and in order to do that they are screwing over the employees?

Archived