Are people who own a truck route smart?

tattoobunnie

Okay...I know this is gonna sound obnoxious, and I really don't mean to be. Normally, I've always dated very highly educated men in elevated positions of white collar fields, and have a preference for that, so we match levels.

I've been emailing this one gentlemen who told me he owned his own business. And I thought great, we can relate to eachother, bounce off ideas, whine about lazy employees! Then, today, he tells me he owns two truck routes, which is definitely no where close to the scenarios I come accross.

He's trying to call to arrange a date with me to go out, though, I wonder, are people who are in this industry, pretty sharp?

Keep in mind, I'm not saying in anyway I'm better than him, or anyone else. I just have an easier time dating people who can understand me, or like-minded.

I've met some really...devastatingly...dumb people who had master's degrees and a 6 figure pay check.

And I've met some extremely intelligent mechanics who barely finished high school.

Also, there are many different types of knowledge and logic (two different things). Deduction, content, analysis, association, inference, emotional, observational, and so on. And different people appreciate different types.

Okay...I know this is gonna sound obnoxious, and I really don't mean to be. Normally, I've always dated very highly educated men in elevated positions of white collar fields, and have a preference for that, so we match levels.

I've been emailing this one gentlemen who told me he owned his own business. And I thought great, we can relate to eachother, bounce off ideas, whine about lazy employees! Then, today, he tells me he owns two truck routes, which is definitely no where close to the scenarios I come accross.

He's trying to call to arrange a date with me to go out, though, I wonder, are people who are in this industry, pretty sharp?

Keep in mind, I'm not saying in anyway I'm better than him, or anyone else. I just have an easier time dating people who can understand me, or like-minded.

Sounds like a learning experience. Go on your date with him and learn something new about a profession you aren't familiar with =].

No need to be ashamed in needing to be with an intelligent guy. Intelligence compatibility (not more or less) is a considerable predictor of relationship satisfaction.

I'd say go on a date a see what happens. Doesn't mean he isn't intelligent at all! And even if he isn't as intelligent as you, doesn't mean you won't get on.

My boyfriend's a very intelligent doctor who's extremely good at what he does. I'm not a doctor, I'm going back to college in the summer and I'm definitely not as intelligent as he is. I never will be. But we get on extremely well. And I like that we do completely different things. I like to hear about his job and he likes to hear about what I'm doing. Think it would be a bit boring if we were both doctors haha. Might not work for some people but it does for us. We have so much in common otherwise and have found plenty of things we can do together, even found some new hobbies we both enjoy.

Sorry, rambling. Give it a chance though, you might be surprised!

Honestly--I know you don't intend to be obnoxious but I think that this experience would be good for you, because it would open your mind. Of course a person driving or owning a a truck route could be smart. Education and white collar fields are not all measures of how intelligent a person is. There are educated people--people who are highly intelligent, and love learning--that may be tradesmen, blue collar workers, and so on. The myth that only college educated, white collar professionals are "smart" is very limiting and really could prevent you from "learning" outside of that category of men.

I do think this is more a matter of values and preferences. If you like white collar educated men that is who you like--though since this is the only group you've really had experience with, I wonder if you've really taken the time to know that there are other men in other fields, and with other types of intelligence that may be even more of a thrill than the "like-minded" individuals that you currently date.

I'm in a white collar position, but while I appreciate friendships, and appreciate and understand many white collar fields and white collar men, I don't tend to date them. And this is for a variety of reasons--but mainly because of the fact that a majority of the time it's too much of the "same" for me. I enjoy learning about things but from different angles, different backgrounds and different perceptions. Thus (friends make fun of me) but I love tradesmen, professors, and men with different types of careers.

Though I'd be the first to admit that I'm more creative and opened minded(hence I'm a marketing professional) and less analytical, practical, logical and set in some ways.

I'd say you could learn a lot from this man, and sometimes dating men that aren't our type gives us a different perspective on dating.

Good luck

Over the years, and years ago, I have dated people in construction, artists, musicians, simple desk jobs, teachers, people who were unemployed...

They always seem to feel emasculated by me (which is silly), or they complain how I should go back into a different field that didn't involve running a business (lack of support). Or to compensate for their insecurity, I play myself down (alot).

So as of recent years, I tend to filter them out for those types.

Though, just never an owner of a truck route...I'll see. He could be awesome.

How's that worked out for ya?

Very well...when it comes to feeling supported in my career, lifestyle, interests, and being able to relate to exposure and culture.

The last few, it's been other factors at play as to why we ended things.

No I meant how'd it work out as far as successful relationships?

Over the years, and years ago, I have dated people in construction, artists, musicians, simple desk jobs, teachers, people who were unemployed...

They always seem to feel emasculated by me (which is silly), or they complain how I should go back into a different field that didn't involve running a business (lack of support). Or to compensate for their insecurity, I play myself down (alot).

So as of recent years, I tend to filter them out for those types.

Though, just never an owner of a truck route...I'll see. He could be awesome.

That's very true.

Sometimes when we get to a certain level of success, others who are not there yet may not be as supportive or as understanding as someone who is experiencing the same things we are.

Nonetheless don't allow some negative experiences in the past, define the type of men you date now.

I don't know what generation your in. But my generation is a lot more open-minded. I've found that there are more men in my age bracket that are okay with a woman that may make more, have more success, or just be in a completely different field.

lol one of my dad's companies is a trucking one... and he's probably smarter than most of the general population. i'm in chemistry and plan to be in academia for a good portion of my life and most of them are supposed to be smart but i think they're pretty stupid for the most part.

it's just a job.

lol one of my dad's companies is a trucking one... and he's probably smarter than most of the general population. i'm in chemistry and plan to be in academia for a good portion of my life and most of them are supposed to be smart but i think they're pretty stupid for the most part.

it's just a job.

I agree. And as much as I like my career, it's pet peeve of mine to speak about it after work. When I leave work, I leave work... I don't want to talk about it. Yes if I have promotion, have a big project, or feel upset with something that my have happened--then I may bring it up. But I was never one to really speak to much about my career or anything of that nature outside of work.

When I go out on dates, we may have a blurb about what we do--and I'll want to learn of course, as he'll want to learn about what I do. But after that, I want to cease the job convo's and just speak about life, and other more important things.

That's just me though.

I don't think that a career is a practical way to measure a person's intelligence. It's a good way to measure ambition, though. And being that he owns his trucking company, I'd say he has a good drive, and head on his shoulder.

Forget it...it was worse! He broke up with his fiance two months ago. Tried to convince me he was over it, yet had to volunteer in telling me (without me asking about it) that she was beautiful, smart, successful, but selfish, and their whole background.

Ugh. Run away!!!

Never judge a book by the cover, OP. You don't know where and who you might be talking to. A person that shovels elephant ship at the zoo, that might just be a part-time or a volunteer gig while he/she goes back to school to finish up a PHd. Our careers don't neccessarily define who we are as individuals outside of work. At my job (Cop) I'm required to be social, aggressive at times, sensitive, insensitive, teacher, leader, helper, mechanic, administrative assistant, easygoing, outgoing, you name it. I do it. At home, I'm very laidback, shy at times. I'm writing a book, into photography, into music, into art and I actually would like to be married someday and have a family. People always tell me that I look unapproachable or mean, but that's far from the truth if they would just stop assuming that I'm like every other cop out there and just get to know me. I'm actually a pretty charming guy, but a lot of people miss out on that because they judge a book. You can't always look at a person's profession as a measuring stick to determine who he or she is. Try to find out there interests and what they have going on outside of work. I like a woman who works hard, but I don't want someone who just buries themself in work and doesn't neccessarily have a life away from the job. Anyways, good luck out there and don't forget what I said, eh?

Peace

I've got friends from all walks of life and professions. Some live in shacks, with family to living in mansions. I love people in general. And I essentially talk to everyone. I've also dated in the past people from all walks of life. Doesn't mean I shouldn't have some ideals in who would make a good partner. Not every coo-ka-doo off the street makes the cut.

I like a woman who works hard, but I don't want someone who just buries themself in work and doesn't neccessarily have a life away from the job.

And this is exactly the mentality as to why some people are not the right partners for me. I'm not a workaholic. I work long, hard, because I have a lot of work to do, and I have twenty-five mouths to look out for. It's not just me on the line.

And I'm not saying your line of thinking is wrong, or mine is any better.

I need a partner that can truly understand and support that I'm not working overtime, I'm just working.

And this is exactly the mentality as to why some people are not the right partners for me. I'm not a workaholic. I work long, hard, because I have a lot of work to do, and I have twenty-five mouths to look out for. It's not just me on the line.

And I'm not saying your line of thinking is wrong, or mine is any better.

I need a partner that can truly understand and support that I'm not working overtime, I'm just working.

In order to have a meaningful relationship with your significant other at some point you may have to sacrifice a little bit. As long as your willing to do that, you'll be fine. But some people honestly don't want to or find that they're unable to do that. That's ok, too. It's just that people like that may have to admit to themselves that perhaps they don't have the time to really entertain a relationship which at times is another full-time job itself.

I'm sure Obama & Michelle, Bill & Melinda, are doing just fine.

People who aren't involved in a typical 9 to 5 position, or unionized can function well in relationships. And, you just made that assumption yourself.

I make sacrifices. I care.

But, I don't want to be made to feel guilty or less, for taking responsibility for what I do. And many have before...the ones who were no where near a business environment.

It's not because anyone is better...it's a different exposure of work. Let's just agree that you and I would never be well suited for one another. And that's that.

I'm sure Obama & Michelle, Bill & Melinda, are doing just fine.

People who aren't involved in a typical 9 to 5 position, or unionized can function well in relationships. And, you just made that assumption yourself.

I make sacrifices. I care.

But, I don't want to be made to feel guilty or less, for taking responsibility for what I do. And many have before...the ones who were no where near a business environment.

It's not because anyone is better...it's a different exposure of work. Let's just agree that you and I would never be well suited for one another. And that's that.

Ok. Sacrifices is the key word.

Archived