Open Club  ·  100 members  ·  Free

Journals

Sobriety, Anxiety...and Whatever Else

Sanesoul

^^ Hello Insane heart:

I am sorry to hear about your fatigue but I am glad you are sleeping and that you have not had any urges. I am so proud of you for you. You see I told you...you have victories! Yay insane heart I know you can do this

I hope you have an amazing day and I look forward to sharing another victory with you.

Thanks so much. Your encouragement really helps a ton

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So glad you had a great day. Do you or have you ever tracked what triggers those urges? Do they come when you are particularly stressed or upset about something, or maybe out of boredom?

Sometimes it's both. Anxiety is a huge trigger because alcohol makes it calm way down. When I drink during the week it's usually as a sleep-aid. It helps my mind quiet down so I can rest. On the weekend, it's because I don't want my stress to ruin my days off.

I'm getting better with my anxiety, and I have the ambien if it gets too bad. Like I said though, the last couple nights I've been so exhausted that I don't need them. I just don't want to be crashing at 7 pm every night. I'm hoping that lets up, and I get a normal sleep/energy level.

Sometimes it's both. Anxiety is a huge trigger because alcohol makes it calm way down. When I drink during the week it's usually as a sleep-aid. It helps my mind quiet down so I can rest. On the weekend, it's because I don't want my stress to ruin my days off.

I'm getting better with my anxiety, and I have the ambien if it gets too bad. Like I said though, the last couple nights I've been so exhausted that I don't need them. I just don't want to be crashing at 7 pm every night. I'm hoping that lets up, and I get a normal sleep/energy level.

Well I congratulate you on being able to fall asleep without the Ambien. That is something that I haven't been able to accomplish and I have been on Ambien for almost 4 years.

Have you ever taken anything for the anxiety like Klonipin or Ativan? I wonder if that would help lessen your anxiety, hence less urges. Of course I'm not suggesting one addiction for the other, I know people can get hooked on anxiety meds as well. Perhaps until you can find alternative ways to deal with the anxiety, healtier ways of course.

I have been thinking about talking to my doctor about a mild anti-anxiety med. I hate to go back on meds though because I had such a bad experience with Effexor.

I'm not seeing a therapist either because there is not a single one in my podunk town who can see me with my schedule.

Seriously, 9-5 therapists suck.

I have been thinking about talking to my doctor about a mild anti-anxiety med. I hate to go back on meds though because I had such a bad experience with Effexor.

I'm not seeing a therapist either because there is not a single one in my podunk town who can see me with my schedule.

Seriously, 9-5 therapists suck.

I agree with you, there should be more flexibility when it comes to therapists I mean they know more than anyone that people have lives and they have to work or do other things. Anyways, I agree with Metro there might be other healthier ways to deal with the anxiety....

Fantastic! How is the anxiety today? Are you still sleeping okay?

My anxiety is actually pretty calm today I think it's a combination of better sleep and the fact that it is a gorgeous day.

I seem to be waking up periodically through the night. I wasn't as tired last evening as the two previous nights, so that's a good sign.

Day 4, and all is well. I'm still not feeling any urges yet

Good morning Insane! This is fantastic news. I am so glad you see four days! I am very happy for you.

I am also very glad to hear that the anxiety is doing well as well. I was going to ask you is there any way you could incorporate a morning walk into your routine?

Good morning Insane! This is fantastic news. I am so glad you see four days! I am very happy for you.

I am also very glad to hear that the anxiety is doing well as well. I was going to ask you is there any way you could incorporate a morning walk into your routine?

Gosh, I would love that. Unfortunately, my schedule is insane. My hubby is awesome though. He is cooking dinner for us tonight so I will have a break from that.

I'm thinking about taking a walk afterwards.

Gosh, I would love that. Unfortunately, my schedule is insane. My hubby is awesome though. He is cooking dinner for us tonight so I will have a break from that.

I'm thinking about taking a walk afterwards.

I was asking because I used to know someone who had bad anxiety and they told me that someone had recomended a daily walk. I guess it used to help her, she said that it made her feel relaxed and more calm. Might be something you might want to try

Just thought I would mention it

Especially if you have a park nearby or something serene. It's totally relaxing and soooo good for the soul.

I totally agree, try it and let us know how it went. Supossedly, when you walk or exercise the increased oxygen intake is supposed to release natural endorphins which make people feel good and relaxed.

Day 5 sober. I didn't go for that walk last night because I forgot about how much crap I needed to do. Hubby has a long work weekend and child is spending the weekend with friends, so I had to do some laundry.

Hubby made a great dinner though, which was very nice. I ended up relaxing and watching the season finales of Bones and Fringe.

This weekend will be a bit lonely for me, but I'll also have a lot of time to do some self-therapy. I also have plans with friends tomorrow, so that should be good.

Day 5 sober. I didn't go for that walk last night because I forgot about how much crap I needed to do. Hubby has a long work weekend and child is spending the weekend with friends, so I had to do some laundry.

Hubby made a great dinner though, which was very nice. I ended up relaxing and watching the season finales of Bones and Fringe.

This weekend will be a bit lonely for me, but I'll also have a lot of time to do some self-therapy. I also have plans with friends tomorrow, so that should be good.

Yay day 5! I am so happy for you Insane you are doing so well! Keep it up.

My weekend actually went very well considering how weak I am. I did have some beer on Friday, but instead of it being the sweet nectar that I was hoping for, it tasted like ass.

I didn't drink very much, not enough to really feel it, and I felt really bad afterwards. It was such a disappointment. I did not drink Saturday or Sunday, so that is also better than the weekend before that.

So, I am on Day 3, again, but more confident than ever. I don't want to put that crap in my system anymore.

I feel bad for being such a disappointment, but if there's one thing I've learned over the years, I'm not a lost cause. I can do this, and I am getting better and better as the weeks go by.

Insane,

Please do not be disappointed. Hey you lasted 5 days and they way I see it this is day 8. Yes you slipped but you only had a little it could have been worse. Don't be too hard on yourself, this is a process and I am sure there will be other times when you have just a little. The way I see it you should be happy because you did not overboard something you could have easily done.

Come on, pat yourself in the back you are doing good. You deserve it.

Archived