Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Sobriety, Anxiety...and Whatever Else

Sanesoul

You did good Insane. You went another 5 days which is fabulous and yes, you did slip up but you recognized it early and like you said, you didn't enjoy it like you normally do.

That's progress my friend.

Let me throw something out there. My bf is an alcoholic and his drink of choice for some time has been beer. Now that he is battling some medical conditions that don't allow for a whole lot of drinking, he's taken to having some O'douls which is alcohol free beer. He said that just having something with the taste of beer helps to curb the urges for the real thing.

Maybe that would help a little.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the suggestion Metro. If the urge gets bad again, I may try that.

I haven't had a drink in 4 days now, and I'm feeling really good. I'm thinking about all the plans I have for the summer (it feels like it here already!).

My anxiety is getting less, and I'm starting to feel more at peace.

That's wonderful!

So are you feeling less anxious as the days pass? How is the sleeping coming along?

Sleep is coming easier. Sunday night wasn't good, but the last two days have been better.

My anxiety is less too. I think it's because I'm making a conscious effort to release it when I can.

Sleep is coming easier. Sunday night wasn't good, but the last two days have been better.

My anxiety is less too. I think it's because I'm making a conscious effort to release it when I can.

Ok another question for ya.

Have you ever dabbled in meditation? It's a great stress reliever.

Ok another question for ya.

Have you ever dabbled in meditation? It's a great stress reliever.

It's funny you should mention that! I've actually started reading Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn.

It's very interesting, and I think meditation will really help with my anxiety. I just want to understand it before I commit myself to doing it.

Things are still getting better. My hubs called me this morning and told me that he wants to take our daughter to DC at the end of the summer.

I'm so excited! It's well enough in advance that we should have no problem saving up for it, and I've never been there.

Definitely something to look forward to!

Things are still getting better. My hubs called me this morning and told me that he wants to take our daughter to DC at the end of the summer.

I'm so excited! It's well enough in advance that we should have no problem saving up for it, and I've never been there.

Definitely something to look forward to!

Vacations and get aways are a great way to reduce stress and anxiety. Maybe you just need a little break from the norm.

I haven't posted on here in a bit. I've been backsliding. I haven't completely fallen off the wagon, but I haven't been perfect either.

I just got some news that put a scare in me though. My uncle, an alcoholic all his life, is fighting for his very life right now. His liver is shutting down. He's only 44.

This man means so much to me, and has always been there for me. After my father abandoned me, he was my only father figure. He's always been loving, in his own way, and has always made me feel special.

Unfortunately, the man always has a beer in his hand, and over the past couple of years he has switched to hard liquor. You could often find him with a screwdriver at 7am.

I shouldn't be suprised that this is happening, but I always hoped that he would get better. He never thought he had a problem.

I guess I am one-step further than him.

I'm really sorry to hear that Insane. I can imagine you are a mixed bag of emotions. Now is not the time to come undone. You need to be in a clear mind to enjoy whatever time you may have left with your uncle.

Also, this might be a good place to start over again, start fresh. You see first hand what the drink has done to a loved one, don't let that happen to you hon. You have your family that loves you and I am sure they want all the extra time they can get with you.

Take care of yourself. We are here for you.

Thanks Metro. I definitely don't want to end up like him. I love him to pieces, and it's not fair that he is so far gone. He's only 44. I can't wrap my mind around that.

I can't let this happen to myself. I won't.

One day at a time......

Were you able to make it to any of the AA classes that you were interested in? I'm willing to be you will find people there that are in similar situations and I think you would benefit from the added support.

One day at a time......

Were you able to make it to any of the AA classes that you were interested in? I'm willing to be you will find people there that are in similar situations and I think you would benefit from the added support.

I haven't gone yet, there's always something going on. I will have to buckle down and just go. If for no other reason then to be with people who have gone what I'm going through.

I haven't gone yet, there's always something going on. I will have to buckle down and just go. If for no other reason then to be with people who have gone what I'm going through.

I understand completely. It seems when we need to do something, there are 100 other things that come about at the same time.

I hope you find the right balance.

I updated my thread on my uncle, but thought I would here too.

He's not doing so well. He is in detox right now, and it's all touch and go. IF he makes it through the detox, he will still not be out of the woods.

The doctor says that the best possible outcome is that he may live up to another two years. The worst case scenario is that he won't live through the next couple days.

He's not doing so well. He is in detox right now, and it's all touch and go. IF he makes it through the detox, he will still not be out of the woods.

The doctor says that the best possible outcome is that he may live up to another two years. The worst case scenario is that he won't live through the next couple days.

I'm sorry Insane. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Insane,

I am so sorry for what is going on with your uncle I hope that everything works for the best, I am a firm believer that God has a purpose for everything. You and your uncle are in my prayers, I know loss is a natural part of life but it is a pain I do not want for anyone.

If you need anything I am here! Thank you for the update

I hope you are doing well with all the stress going on. Stay strong.

Archived