Giving notice...

Every time that I have left a place of employment I usually let my supervisor/manager know that I would like to speak to them about something. I write a formal resignation letter and I explain in my letter the reason for my leaving. If you don't want to say why then I have been told it is ok to write you are leaving for personal reasons. I date and sign the letter and then of course turn it in.

If you're stuck writing a resignation letter, there are tons of them on the web you can use. Wouldn't recommend a 100% copy-n-paste job, but you can find one that sorta fits and then tailor it to your specific situation. Bascially, say nice things, thank them for letting you work there and keep it postive.

Some companies will let you work through your notice....some will ask you to leave the premises immediately. Be prepared for that possibility. Also, the state I live in says the employer has to pay you for the notice period, even if they tell you to leave. You might want to see what the laws are in your state.

I need the pay, hell I need the job. But I have some in savings and a couple of good prospects already lined up. I would prefer to stay with this employer but I have not received proper training for the position I am in and have also started getting vibes that my employment will not be there much longer and I would prefer to have the employment ended on my terms. I called in sick today, and yes I was truly sick I have been (and still am) puking for three days. I spoke with my supervisor about me returning to work tomorrow and he informed me that I would not need to worry about running my route tomorrow, as I am a route salesman, which is quite unusual.

He said he read around and said that it's better to give a verbal notice and supply a written one only if requested. Also, our state is not one of those that requires the employer to pay the remaining 2 weeks if they let him go earlier. Bummer.

I worry about him with this job. It's been making him sick, literally. Stressing him out to the point of vomiting and/or tears. One of those jobs where he gets a phone call from a supervisor only if he's being reprimanded for something, so if the phone rings, it's instant anxiety for him. Honestly, even though he's making good money and it's a job right now, I'd rather him be unemployed than go through this So even though some will say it's best to wait till he secures another job, it's not worth his health, for sure! Otherwise, I'd agree with that advice! Thanks, all, for the posts!

I need the pay, hell I need the job. But I have some in savings and a couple of good prospects already lined up. I would prefer to stay with this employer but I have not received proper training for the position I am in and have also started getting vibes that my employment will not be there much longer and I would prefer to have the employment ended on my terms. I called in sick today, and yes I was truly sick I have been (and still am) puking for three days. I spoke with my supervisor about me returning to work tomorrow and he informed me that I would not need to worry about running my route tomorrow, as I am a route salesman, which is quite unusual.

If you do not have another position you are going to yet, I would hold off on giving notice but that is just me. Get a firm commitment from another company before jumping ship. Try to nail something down a bit firmer if you can. Also, is there a way you can ask for or otherwise take the initiative to get more training at your current position. The initiative may win you points and you might be able to stick around longer if you needed to.

If you do not have another position you are going to yet, I would hold off on giving notice but that is just me. Get a firm commitment from another company before jumping ship. Try to nail something down a bit firmer if you can. Also, is there a way you can ask for or otherwise take the initiative to get more training at your current position. The initiative may win you points and you might be able to stick around longer if you needed to.

his supervisor asked him a couple weeks ago if he felt that he couldn't do the job and asked if he wanted to be transfered to another positon. i think a little pride got in the way there--he didn't want to admit he "couldn't" do it to him, but really, the job is not fitting for him. I wonder if he could just look into that other position instead. As of yet, he hasn't said anything to me about talking to them about it (and I'm unsure of what the position is).

He's gone to bed now but I'll write him and see if he'll think about that. He's not in a place where he can be unemployed right now, but like I said, I'd rather him be unemployed than sick with stress all the time.

his supervisor asked him a couple weeks ago if he felt that he couldn't do the job and asked if he wanted to be transfered to another positon. i think a little pride got in the way there--he didn't want to admit he "couldn't" do it to him, but really, the job is not fitting for him. I wonder if he could just look into that other position instead. As of yet, he hasn't said anything to me about talking to them about it (and I'm unsure of what the position is).

He's gone to bed now but I'll write him and see if he'll think about that. He's not in a place where he can be unemployed right now, but like I said, I'd rather him be unemployed than sick with stress all the time.

That's a good idea. Maybe he can check into the other position if its still open and his other prospects are just a plan B

I wrote him and he wrote back and just said he'll try to talk to him about it but when he brought it up to him the other day, his supervisor acted as though he'd never mentioned it. I don't know, I'm not sure if OP (my boyfriend, if you haven't figured it out!) is just speculating so much or if it's what he says. I just worry for him and want him to be happy but not create bad scenarios in his head and take them as truth.

Update_____

I attempted to put in my notice today and it was not accepted. The person whom hired me took the blame of my issues with my position upon himself and offered to transfer me to another position. The new job is a almost insignificant pay cut but infinitely less stress and more potantial to learn the ins and outs of the company. Hooooray beer!! Hooooray not being unemployed!!!!

Archived