Girls, when do you judge when your period starts?

Even when just spotting!? I've worn a tampon and I just, can't do it. But hey, whatever works for you!

Yep, even when I'm just spotting.

I can not STAND pads. They drive me up the wall. I literally feel like I am wearing a diaper. I'd rather put a tampon in and if I'm just spotting not take it out every 4 hours, maybe 6 or 7.

It took me a long time to get use to them. I found out that inserting the cardboard applicator kind I can't do. They have to be the plastic applicator. I think it took me 6 months to get use to wearing them really.

It's this little doodad:

image removed

It collects blood, you dump the blood out, wash the cup, and stick it back in.

Ok so I don't actually own one yet, but I've been doing my research and will buy one when my tampons run out. Looks like it has a lot of benefits compared to pads and tampons.

Wait, how do you get away without wearing a pad OR tampon!?

I just go to the bathroom to wipe often. My last period I only had two tampons so I had to ration them =/

Even when just spotting!? I've worn a tampon and I just, can't do it. But hey, whatever works for you!

Playtex has really skinny and small ones now. They're called slender and slender lite. The lite ones are tiny.

Haha yeah actually that's the first time I've noticed how BIG it looks.

Is this better?

link removed

And you fold it I guess.

link removed

I hope I could manage without spilling I mean, I wouldn't leave it in til it was brimming. Another thing that would possibly be interesting to some women is that you can keep track of how much you bleed throughout your cycle cause it has the measuring marks. I'm not sure that's on my list of Need to Knows though.

Haha yeah actually that's the first time I've noticed how BIG it looks.

Is this better?

link removed

And you fold it I guess.

link removed

I hope I could manage without spilling I mean, I wouldn't leave it in til it was brimming. Another thing that would possibly be interesting to some women is that you can keep track of how much you bleed throughout your cycle cause it has the measuring marks. I'm not sure that's on my list of Need to Knows though.

Oh, that is interesting! Although, I don't know what I'd do with that information...

how many times can you re-use it?

Ok more research since inquiring minds want to know

"Menstrual blood is measured for health reasons. Gynecologists, physicians, naturopaths and acupuncturists will ask about flow and change of menstrual flow to determine health and hormonal factors, fertility concerns, etc... Disposable tampons and pads and even washable pads are not a reliable or scientific method of determining flow, because they come in many absorbencies, contain surfactants and moisture control agents."

That's not that useful to me really. Although the time for it has passed, something I would have been curious to know is how much lighter my periods were when I was using birth control.

Other info:

• They recommend you replace it once a year.
  • You're supposed to wash it with soap throughout your cycle and boil it at the end of each cycle.
  • You can't use certain soaps to wash it because it's made of silicone (they sell a wash formulated for it, but you can use other stuff)
  • It doesn't leak unless it's in wrong (according to reviews, the trickiest part is learning how to put it in. Keep panty liners at hand for the first few times. After that it's supposedly way more reliable than pads/tampons)
  • You can't feel it unless it's in wrong.
  • You can wear it at night too

Other info:

• They recommend you replace it once a year.
  • You're supposed to wash it with soap throughout your cycle and boil it at the end of each cycle.
  • You can't use certain soaps to wash it because it's made of silicone (they sell a wash formulated for it, but you don't HAVE to use it I don't think)
  • It doesn't leak unless it's in wrong (according to reviews, the trickiest part is learning how to put it in. Keep panty liners at hand for the first few times. After that it's supposedly way more reliable than pads/tampons)
  • You can't feel it unless it's in wrong.
  • You can wear it at night too

See I use tampons at night, like all night long.

Getting it in there has got to oh so fun...

But once you know how to get it in and out, it's probably fast and easy! One of my questions was what do you do in public restrooms!? I will not get out of the stall, rinse it in the sink in front of people, then get back in the stall. I asked my friend who uses one and she says she just doesn't rinse it if she's in a public bathroom...

I researched mooncups (same difference I think) and decided against them cos of the public bathroom thing.

I don't have periods now, YEY!!! Mine were always a nightmare - in fact I had two babies with no drugs at all cos I just got through by thinking, "This is NO WAY as bad as a period! And I get a BABY at the end of it!" (I didn't want to pump my babies full of drugs as they were born, that's why).

I don't think I ever bled for less then seven to nine days - but some of those days were really irritating - enough blood to need protection, not enough to feel it was worth calling it a period. FWIW you lose VERY little during an entire period 0 only a few teaspoons - so I doubt your diva cup would ever overflow.

Just to say, the person with lots of gynae problems - you really SHOULD track our periods, that info may be vital to you one day.

And don't worry - menopause is GREAT!

Archived