A girl i hardly know

There's a girl in my english & biology classes. She just recently changed schools. She doesn't have many friends, and is very quiet. I know she liked a guy in my class (even though she has a boyfriend) a while ago and asked him out, but he was engaged, and he rejected her even thought he said out loud many times to me, her and most other people that he thought she was hot. I know that there is one guy that often talks to her in biology because she sits alla alone, but she doesn't really like him from wat i've seen. I've never spoken to her, although she asked the engaged guy about me (just general stuff, like what country i'm from). I know she has a boyfriend, but i don't think she likes him much anymore cos she asked the engaged guy out after knowing him for 3 days.

I'd really like your opinion on:

1. wether i should try to ask her out,

2. How i would go about starting up a conversation, what to say and so on

For sure ask her out for coffee or something like that. Avoid dinner right away because she might feel to pressured. As for conversation, in my opinion (this seems to be going completely against societies views on dating, but in Europe from what I understand its the right thing to do) should be left for the date. There's really no sense in making small talk just to ask someone out for coffee, I mean come on can't two strangers get together and get to know each other.

So thats my two cents, hope it helps some!

Thanx for the advice. Were both 16, so asking her to go for a coffee would sound a little weird (at least in new zealand it would). My problem is i don't know what to say to a girl that i want to get to know if i haven't ever talked to her.

Should i just ask her out right away or should i slowly start talking to her in class, beginning with saying 'hi' whenever i see her?