Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Why can't someone just pay me to play my Bass? AKA The joys of Unemployment...

HellFrost666

Right now every living thing in my house (except the snakes) is stricken with this awful horrid cough. Seriously, my house sounds like a TB ward. We don't know where we got it. And none of us have any other symptoms of being sick. My dog is even hacking and wheezing.

Today I was in contact with two people about jobs. One of them I emailed a Resume' to. The other one I had to go to the place and give to to them.

I could only find a parking place really far away. On my way to the building all that cold air hit my lungs and I had this nasty coughing fit. It was like an old man's 5AM smoker's cough. Some liquid was even expelled...

So, I get inside and hand the receptionist the Resume' that's been in my nasty germ ridden hands, and I ask her to "Please give this to Dennis." She rolled her eyes at me and said "No one named Dennis works here."

That's when I realized, in all my horror, that Dennis isn't this guy's name. Dennis was the name of the other guy I emailed my Resume' to earlier in the day.

I think I probably blew it without even meeting the guy.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh it's the worst being sick when you've got things to do. I can never keep anything straight when all i can concentrate on is how miserable I feel.

As for getting paid to play the bass.. I don't get paid to play cello much but I certainly get paid to teach!

just keep trying. at least you're still going even though you and veryone else is ill. if you want to play bass and get paid, why don't you join a band and get some gigs? or do session work if you can get it?

I've been in a band since 2002. We do play gigs, and we get paid. But it's not enough to live on.

That was just my attempt at a somewhat funny title.

Ugh it's the worst being sick when you've got things to do. I can never keep anything straight when all i can concentrate on is how miserable I feel.

As for getting paid to play the bass.. I don't get paid to play cello much but I certainly get paid to teach!

I had the swine flu a month ago. I missed a week of work and everything. (This was obviously back when I still had a job.) And I haven't fully recovered yet. I was almost there, and then my roommate came down with the cough from hell, and then my girlfriend and I both got it.

Not sure how the dog got it though. That remains a mystery.

My roommate got a horrible sinus infection, followed by swine flu, followed by pneumonia. She's been sick for about 2 months now... and the worst I got was the 48 hour flu. Luck.

Right after having the swine flu I had what felt like a sinus infection. I don't know for sure because getting fired left me with no medical insurance so I didn't go get it checked. But I've had sinus infections before, and that's exactly what this felt like. Then once that went away I had a few days of feeling good, then this cough started.

Why in the hell can't the unemployment office get it through their heads that I have a part time job? Seriously, is it that hard to figure out?

When I was working full time I took this part time job for 12-15 hours a week to save up money to go home next summer. Then I got fired from my day job, and now my night job is my only income. Unlike a lot of people who cheat unemployment, I decided to be honest. My part time job is also temporary and will be ending in January. I made this obvious on my application.

They've emailed me multiple times asking me about this. They've also called me and asked me to explain this. I gave them my boss's name and number so they could call him and verify it. They called him and talked to him.

I am supposed to go online every Sunday and update my claim. Yesterday I tried to do this all day, and couldn't log into the site. I kept getting an error message. So today I went online and was able to get into the site and update my claim. Now, because I was a day late, it looks like I'll get screwed out of a week's benefits. So, now I have to call the unemployment office so I can sit on hold for forty five minutes and tell them there was a problem with their website.

This cough I have will not go away. Today is day number five, and it's not getting any better. The last few nights have been the same. I take Nyquil and sleep for three or four hours, then I wake up in the middle of the night and cough almost non stop for an hour or so. Then I usually can't go back to sleep. So I am tired all the time... I am getting fed up with this. I am literally sick and tired of being sick and tired.

My boss at my part time job did give me a raise. The other temp he hired was a little crazy and came to work drunk one night. He asked her if she was alright and she cussed at him and quit, saying this was a "slave job." So now I am doing her job and my job, so it only makes sense that I get paid more.

Now I guess I should get off here and call the unemployment office. I should have some of this resolved in about an hour.

Damn...I've got the cough from hell too. My 9 month old son caught a nasty cold and sinus infection from somewhere and then he turned into a "typhoid mary" and gave it to me, his daddy, his aunt and his cousin. Now he's feeling better and we're all miserable! lol

Right there with ya, Helly, hacking up the pretty green stuff! lol

Damn...I've got the cough from hell too. My 9 month old son caught a nasty cold and sinus infection from somewhere and then he turned into a "typhoid mary" and gave it to me, his daddy, his aunt and his cousin. Now he's feeling better and we're all miserable! lol

Right there with ya, Helly, hacking up the pretty green stuff! lol

I am passed the point of hacking up green stuff. The coughing fits I have are so violent that I've puked a few times.

My girlfriend and my roommate both have it too. But I think it's hitting me harder because my body is still week from having the swine flu a month ago.

I just spent 1/2 hour printing out an application for a job I am not even that enthusiastic about. But, it's not that the application was really long or anything... My printer was acting up.

And now I'll fill this damn thing out and drive all the way accross town and hand it in only to get no response whatsoever.

I've been trying to call the unemployment office for two days now to straighten out some supposed problem with my claim that they emailed me about. But every time I call I get a message saying they are experiencing a high call volume and I need to call back later.

Yesterday my boss at my temp job wanted me to work in the morning instead of at night. I was having such violent coughing fits at work that he asked if I wanted to go home half way through my shift. I told him I can't go home because I need the money. Then I went to fill my water bottle and came back to find $50 stuck in between the keys on my keyboard. I asked my boss why it was there and he told me he was paying me to go home. I told him I couldn't take the money because I just didn't feel right about it. And he said "Consider it a Christmas Bonus."

I don't celebrate Christmas. But he doesn't know that. So I took it, thanked him and left.

The newspaper here has started doing this thing that's really annoying. I see it more for professional jobs then anything else. The ads don't include the name of the company. At the end of the ad it says something like "Send resume' to box 23 c/o *name of the paper.*

Every job posting has a different box number. At first I thought maybe all these job openings were for jobs at the paper. But they aren't. My friend Allen knows someone who works in their classifieds department and he asked her about that. She said it's just something they do because it's more convenient for the companies who run the ads.

I am sure there's some reason it's more convenient for them. But it's not that convenient for those of us looking for a job. I know before I apply to work somewhere I would at least like to know where I am applying to work. The paper here has a pretty wide reach, and they run ads sometimes for jobs that are an hour away. An hour long drive to work is something I would want to know about before I apply anywhere.

Also, this makes writing a cover letter really difficult. It's hard to write a cover letter to begin with, but harder when I don't know who the hell I am writing to.

The paper here seems a little screwy anyway. I had an interview there a few weeks ago. The guy who interviewed me was such an ass I was almost relieved he didn't hire me.

I am so desperate to get rid of this illness... whatever it is.

Last night I was up a lot of times throughout the night, now it's almost 1:30 and I just can't stay awake. I just woke up and I want to go back to bed.

One of my friends is having a party tonight and I don't even want to go. I just want to sleep...

I am so desperate to get rid of this illness... whatever it is.

Last night I was up a lot of times throughout the night, now it's almost 1:30 and I just can't stay awake. I just woke up and I want to go back to bed.

One of my friends is having a party tonight and I don't even want to go. I just want to sleep...

Time to get a chest x-ray, HellFrost. :sad:

Archived